+ Reply to Thread

Question Attic insulation with storage

I have an older home in Nebraska. The attic is very large and we use it as storage. It has pull down stairs that I keep insulated with a rigid foam board box that I made. I have R13 insulation between the floor joists (ceiling joist of the upstairs rooms) since they are 2x4s. I have 3 layers of fiberglass in the areas that are closest to the roof since it is too low for storage. (gable roof). I am considering laying foam board insulation down on the plywood floor where the storage is, and then covering that with a thin layer of plywood, so I could still walk on it and still have storage. I think I could get r10 to r15 with the foam board, and with the r13 fiberglass in between the joists, have about r23 to r28. Any comments?

Default Re: Attic insulation with storage

Howdy, i too have an old home in NE an renovating it. Your utility bills will greatly improve with insulation in the attic. First how valuable are the items you store there are they worth the extra $ to not have adequate insulation? Second in NE climate an R value of R48 is what is recommended for the ceiling. Foam to get up to r-48 is quite pricey. I would consider making a smaller storage area using foam to bring the insulation up to 48 and adding blown in cellulose to R48 in the rest of the attic. Or finding another storage area bringing the attic all up to r-48 heck the reduction in utilities should be substantial..

thanks. where in NE are you? I put in R-25 fiberglass rolls on top of the floor after moving as much storage out of the way and on shelving as I could before the low temps got here. I think it has helped already. When spring gets here I'm going to do a better job and do a lot of work up there so I can get more insulation all over.

Howdy, The house is in Albion Nebraska, my wife's family is from in an around there. I spend several months a year there working on the old place but rest of year in OR- those NE winters- like tonight are way to cold for me... Where abouts in NE is your place?

The R25 will help allot this winter. Next year consider adding more up to at least R48 . You may be able to blow in cellulose insulation under the floor of your storage area too filling the floor joist cavities ( make sure no nob and tube wiring in the places you insulate- cannot insulate around it because it needs air space or it has a strong chance of burning the house down). An you can add fiberglass bat insulation in the roof rafters too but only if you have an non vented attic. My old house built in 1903 did not have any roof venting but i have installed roof venting as it has numerous benefits for the dwelling. Oh it too had no attic insulation when we bought it which made replacing the know and tube wiring easier. I am installing R60 in the attic a 2011 project.

We are in Lincoln. Yeah, I replaced all of the wiring in the house when we first bought it and remodeled. New wiring and breaker panel, new plumbing. We moved the washer and dryer on the upper floor by the bedrooms, and then made one of the bedrooms into a master bath. The one thing I wish we would have done is the basement. It still has a large crawl space and limestone foundation. My wood floors are pretty wavy and sloped. But foundations are very expensive.
    I did put fiberglass insulation between the floor joists under the decking in the attic. That would be R-13. Maybe it would be better to take that out and blow in cellulose so it could pack in there good. Not sure if it's better or not. It wouldn't be that big of a job since I need to replace some of the decking anyway. Thanks for writing.

Howdy again- sounds like your making a fine home in Lincoln. If there is an air space above the fiberglass in the decked area you can blow cellulose on top of it.
    I have had to replace about 1/3 of the houses foundation. Did it my self and learned the value of over bracing the forms only after one form blew out- never worked so hard shoveling concrete for hours in my life. The good news doing it my self saved lotts of $$$
    Lincoln is a great city- attended the U & Wilderness Park. I look forward to a walk in the park every time we come to visit. Man you are lucky to live there.