+ Reply to Thread

Question how to install a propane furnace for a summer home

Due to the increase in oil prices, I am looking to install a propane furnace in my summer home. Looking for suggestions on brand names for a furnace. Any suggestions?

Thanks, cittykat2

Default Re: how to install a propane furnace for a summer home

All heaters now are really efficient so it really depends on your own perception of brand names. Trane has a good heater that is 90% efficient and a good warranty on burner and other parts. I'm satisfied with the heater but the installation company is another story. Make sure you get a company that has a good record with your local Chamber of Commerce and the Better Business Bureau. Also have them give you a few references to check with about how their work has been done in their homes or business.
    But brand is up to you. Get at least three estimates and make sure you know what brand unit each one is going to install. Then go on-line and look at each unit to see if it fits your needs and how they are rated. Make sure you check about any complaints the companies have and how they were taken care of. Also check on the warranties of each unit the companies are offering in their estimates and how long they warranty their installation work, very important item.

Default Re: how to install a propane furnace for a summer home

Many furnaces will accept a retrofit burner package instead of replacing the entire oil furnace. Talk to your local propane suppliers about doing this and follow the earlier post about multiple quotes, in writing, quoting the same product and options. Quotes on different products/manufacturers can be very misleading. Most contractors won't mind quoting a product of your choice instead of his bread and butter brand.
    yudamann
    Outer Banks NC