+ Reply to Thread

Default Federal Pacific Panel

My daughter and son-in-law recently purchased an older home and had it inspected prior to closing. It turns out that the home has a Federal Pacific Breaker Panel (200 Amp). I have heard a lot of bad things about this product. I thought that the inspector would have given the kids a warning about this situation in the inspection report but he did not. I took the cover off and did a visual inspection and did not see any apparent problems with overheating at the buss. The know problems are with the stab-lock connection and the failure of some breaker not tripping when called upon to do so. What should they do, have the panel replaced?

Default Re: Federal Pacific Panel

You'd be better off replacing the panel & breakers with another brand. Around our shop, we've been joking for years that the amperage rating that is stamped on a Federal Pacific breaker doesn't mean much...none of em trip below 80 amps. I rate them right up there with Zinsco panelboards & breakers.
    HTH

Dave

I made a bet once that I could strike an arc on a welding rod and weld using a 20A FPE breaker connected to the welding rod and the piece of steel connected to neutral.

I won the bet.

So, another vote to replace the FPE panel and breakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave357 View Post
    You'd be better off replacing the panel & breakers with another brand. Around our shop, we've been joking for years that the amperage rating that is stamped on a Federal Pacific breaker doesn't mean much...none of em trip below 80 amps. I rate them right up there with Zinsco panelboards & breakers.
    FP & Zinsco panels.
    Maybe the worst electrical products ever put on the market.
    Do yourself a very big favor. Replace ASAP...