+ Reply to Thread

Question Outdoor water line to house replace/relocate

My water line from my well to the house has sprung a leak and been repaired 4 times. The leak keeps occurring in roughly the same place - just further and further up the pipe. The line runs under a asphalt driveway. What can I do to replace this line without having to tear up the asphalt driveway?

Default Re: Outdoor water line to house replace/relocate

I purchased a tool Called Borzit it is a hand held attachment for a heavy duty drill motor.
    Worked very well only used it twice.Cost was around $ 300.00

dig up on each side of drive way. I would use copper to replace. Tie onto existing line with what type of material needs replacing. either hook to excavater or back of truck and pull. It will follow old line out. Used to do this next to meater and close to house for water service replacing and HO didnt want yard interupted.

Another way, if you don't have a lot of rocks in the soil, is to attach a "sweeper" nozzle to the end of a length of pipe, and use water pressure to drill through.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

I am assuming that yout line is probally polyethlene. typically if the pipe leaks once it will continue to in the future. depending on if the line is a straight run, or even a few sweeping turns you may be able to insert the next size smaller line through the existing line. I have done this before, it seems impossible but I have honly had this not work 1 out of probally 40 times. this is the same thing that the gas company typically does to replace faulty ductile iron service lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencepost View Post
    Another way, if you don't have a lot of rocks in the soil, is to attach a "sweeper" nozzle to the end of a length of pipe, and use water pressure to drill through.

Im with fencepost, water jet the line in. The first time a friend told me about water jetting I told him he was full of crap. Boy did he teach me a lesson. Since then Ive done it many times over the yrs.
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content