+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation Electrical outlet/Dishwasher installation

My kitchen is pretty much set after remodeling a repo home. BUT, alas I have a bugger of a project left to do. There is a space available to install an automatic dishwasher. My dilemma is the previous owner failed to install an electical outlet where the diswasher should be. I have located my studs and know how to install the blue wingtip electrical box into the sheetrock BUT
    How in the world do I know the length I should drill a hole (from the basement) in ??

Once I get the hole drilled (for the 12 gauge wire) in the basement and outlet box hole from the kitchen area....How do I get the wire through the hole UP through the wall space into the electrical outlet space???

Default Re: Electrical outlet/Dishwasher installation

If this is a "built-in" undercabinet dishwasher, it's not necessary to connect it using an electrical outlet. You can just "hardwire" the dishwasher, running the Romex directly into the dishwasher's junction box. However, it must be a dedicated circuit, and the breaker must have a way of "locking out" the circuit. Your hardware store or home center will have devices that attach to the breaker so you can clip a padlock on it to prevent someone from turning on the p0wer when you're working on the dishwasher.

If you do go this route, you can just run the Romex up through the floor and not have to poke into the wall. The Romex (or the p0wer cord if you do go the outlet route) must have enough slack so the dishwasher can be completely removed from the cabinet without disconnecting the wires. Four feet of slack should be sufficient. Be sure to caulk the hole where the wire pokes through, both for energy efficiency and to prevent water intrusion into the subfloor.

P.S. -- There's a possibility that the previous owner ran a wire for the dishwasher, and when the wall was sheetrocked it got tucked behind instead of being poked out. If there's a mystery circuit breaker that has a wire running from it but doesn't seem to turn anything off, that's a distinct possibility. If you have an outlet under the sink, such as for a garbage disposer, one half of the outlet may be unswitched (on all the time) and you could plug the DW into this.
    Last edited by Fencepost; 12-20-2010 at 04:18 PM.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

I am curious about "unswitching" the electrical outlet under the sink. Yes it does supply electricity to the garbage disposal which in turn is activated by a switch above the counter top. How does one go about making 1/2 of the outlet on all the time for the dishwasher and the other half for the gd? I am not sure what breaker amp/switch the garbage disposal is on: 15A, 20A, 30A or 50A. my father in law told me to put the dishwasher on a 15A breaker and run a cable (12 gauge) from the box up through the wall to the elec outlet under the counter top.

joe

Quote Originally Posted by joecoolbieksza View Post
    I am curious about "unswitching" the electrical outlet under the sink. Yes it does supply electricity to the garbage disposal which in turn is activated by a switch above the counter top. How does one go about making 1/2 of the outlet on all the time for the dishwasher and the other half for the gd? I am not sure what breaker amp/switch the garbage disposal is on: 15A, 20A, 30A or 50A. my father in law told me to put the dishwasher on a 15A breaker and run a cable (12 gauge) from the box up through the wall to the elec outlet under the counter top.

joe
    On the side of the outlet there is a metal tab between the two screws. Break off the one on the "hot" side (the brass colored screws) and run an unswitched wire to one half of the outlet. For safety, this must be on the same circuit as the switched half of the outlet. (Do not break off the tab on the "neutral" side.)

This is really easy to do if the ***** comes in at the outlet box, because there will already be an unswitched, hot wire you can tap into. If it comes in at the switch box, then you'll need to replace the 12/2 (or 14/2) wire between the switch and the outlet with a 12/3.

To identify the proper breaker, unplug the disposer and plug in a lamp. Turn on the switch then have someone watch it while you flip breakers on and off.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.