+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Leaking where basement wall & floor meet

Quote Originally Posted by coblas View Post
    a sales rep from xypex took a look at my flooding problem a few minutes ago. I'm psyched! He recommended a couple of contractors who do an excellent job and suggested calling them when there's a flood so they can do a more thorough evaluation. He'll send me info. On some projects where the work was done so i can speak with the customers themselves. Although sometimes it's a diy project, he said mine is not one. He also said the interior drainage system with a sump pump wouldn't work for me--that is only for water coming up through the floor. Thank you so much for the suggestion, hank! I'll continue with this approach and report back at a later time.
    call the main office now his advice should not be followed.
    You should correct the problem before it floods not after?
    If you had a fire hazard you would not wait until after the fire to fix the problem.

Yup! I agree. I'm waiting for an answer to an email.

When there is a heavy rain or massive thawing, my basement floods with water entering where the wall and floor meet. The gutters seem to be fine. (I ran water through the downspouts which tie in to drain tile originally installed outside around the foundation, and water exited at the ends of the pipes.) Would hydraulic cement or epoxy around the inside perimeter (maybe after chiseling out a "V") solve the problem? There's no sump pump.
    I would recommend the first thing to address is getting the down spouts out of the weeping tiles. Deeping on what type of weeping drain pipes are in place , that exceesive amount of water coming from the down spouts would over whelm the the drains. In some older homes clay or cast pipes were laid along the perimeter footings. Each section of pipe had about a 1/4 inch or 1/8 inch gap from the adjoining pipe. This allowed the water to enter from the soil.
    Over time , especially the clay pipe they would crack or break and allowing the downspouts to empty into these would spill huge amount of unwanted water down along the foundation. Also with the excess water from the downspouts can force water out of the gaps intended for inlets.

Interesting comments. I know the perimeter drain tile is plastic, having had the house built (in 1970), and the perforations in the pipe face downward. I believe it was installed properly (location, gravel, straw, slope, etc.), although, at this point, it probably doesn't matter. Professional advice at the time was that a sump pump wasn't necessary. Gutters and extending the pipes came 15 or so years later as attempts to solve the flooding problem. (See my comment from 12/21/10.) Prior to that, the lowest pipe exited from the footings to the front into an underground dry well (french drain) 30-40' down the slope, but my thinking was that the flooding indicated it couldn't handle it. My best guess at this point is that the drain tile is damaged, partly because the flooding didn't always occur in the front, but does now. Hard to know if the gutter downspouts are contributing to the problem, especially since they were added years later with the intention of stopping the floods. They do drain freely to the outlets.

Here's an update: Since my last post, I've spoken with Xypex tech support, the local Xypex sales rep., 3 contractors who work with the stuff, and 10 references. I've chosen the contractor who makes the most sense. He'll be starting work in a week or two. Parts of his plan aren't according to spec and they sound like overkill, which I consider a plus! I've moved everything and scrubbed the areas where he'll work, so he's good to go. (I also spoke with an excellent contractor who takes the trench/pipe/gravel/sump pump approach. I consider that a last resort.) Thank you so much, Hank, for your suggestion to look into Xypex. I'm cautiously optimistic and will let you know how it works out.

The Xypex application was completed today. My assignment for the next 3 days is to moisten the treated areas with a light spritz of water twice a day to slow the drying and encourage the crystallization process. The Xypex should be fully cured in about 30 days. The next major thaw or torrential rain will reveal how successful this project has been. Keep your fingers crossed!!

how did xypex work for you r u dry ?

Interesting comments. I know the perimeter drain tile is plastic, having had the house built (in 1970), and the perforations in the pipe face downward. I believe it was installed properly (location, gravel, straw, slope, etc.), although, at this point, it probably doesn't matter. Professional advice at the time was that a sump pump wasn't necessary. Gutters and extending the pipes came 15 or so years later as attempts to solve the flooding problem. (See my comment from 12/21/10.) Prior to that, the lowest pipe exited from the footings to the front into an underground dry well (french drain) 30-40' down the slope, but my thinking was that the flooding indicated it couldn't handle it. My best guess at this point is that the drain tile is damaged, partly because the flooding didn't always occur in the front, but does now. Hard to know if the gutter downspouts are contributing to the problem, especially since they were added years later with the intention of stopping the floods. They do drain freely to the outlets.
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the perforations or holes in his pipe supposed to be up and not facing down?? If they face down they won't catch the water, if they face up the water rises and enters the pipe through the holes and drains down the solid or bottom of the pipe. Sounds like his drain pipe may be installed wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Sten View Post
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the perforations or holes in his pipe supposed to be up and not facing down?? If they face down they won't catch the water, if they face up the water rises and enters the pipe through the holes and drains down the solid or bottom of the pipe. Sounds like his drain pipe may be installed wrong.
    I'm not absolutely certain of which way the drain tile was installed, although I recall something about straw being placed on top of it, so you may be right. Flooding wasn't a problem at first, but progressed over time. Investigating the pipe isn't an option anyway since so much of it runs under the house (front back to front), or I would have gone that route.

I had a flood in my basement on March 14th, but it didn't come through the Xypex. It had been applied 18" up the wall and water didn't come in above it either. My impression is that the Xypex redirected the water more than anticipated and possibly downward--some seemed to have come up through the floor and it hadn't done that in the past. The contractor came back and said flooding had never happened before in the 7 years he had been working with Xypex. He applied more all around the basement and in a few areas where he hadn't and now I have to wait for flooding conditions again. I keep checking to make sure I can see exactly where it's coming from. Meanwhile, I'm considering my options. Stay tuned...

Here's an update. There were substantial downpours intermittently yesterday and the day before, but the basement has remained dry. While the rain didn't compare to the enormous volume of water from massive snow thawing in the past (and subsequent flooding), it's certainly encouraging.