+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Leaking where basement wall & floor meet

When there is a heavy rain or massive thawing, my basement floods with water entering where the wall and floor meet. The gutters seem to be fine. (I ran water through the downspouts which tie in to drain tile originally installed outside around the foundation, and water exited at the ends of the pipes.) Would hydraulic cement or epoxy around the inside perimeter (maybe after chiseling out a "V") solve the problem? There's no sump pump.

Default Re: Leaking where basement wall & floor meet

Howdy, the space is for expansion of the basement floor slab so do not fill it with cement. You could try self leveling cement joint compound -caulk for cement, It is a issue of ground water entering into the basement resolved by installing a french drain inside the basement next to the foundation and installing a sump pump. But first what is the grade around the house( slope away of tword the house)? Is it on all sides of the basement slab or one area?

The grade slopes away in front of the house and somewhat toward the house in the back (approx. 3' higher 50' back from the house. The flooding problem occurs in both the front and back. Changing the slope in back so it's away from the house would entail removing 15-20 large trees. I've considered building up the slope at the back of the house to grade it away, but would encounter other problems such as a doorway, deck, driveway, and more trees. I've wondered why the drain tile around the outside of the foundation (front & back) doesn't handle the water before it gets inside. To complicate the matter, this is a multi-level house. The drain tile is around the perimeter of the "living level" of the house which consists of the kitchen, dining room, and livingroom. On one side, there is an attached garage (down 4 steps from the kitchen), and the drain tile is 5' or so below where the garage floor meets the living section. On the other side, there is a level going up 6 steps from the living level and the tile is buried there, too. I hope this isn't too confusing.

Your drain tile must be clogged, collapsed or just improperly installed.

The water collected by the drain tile should be going somewhere, but since there is no sump pump, where is it going? Can you see a discharge line? Do you know where it leads? Do you see that water coming out somewhere or is the line tied to the city system?

I know these seem like odd questions, but you'd be surprised if you knew now often builders install these tiles without a discharge line as if they expected the collected water to mysteriously vanish.

As the other member in this forum suggested, your best (and more affordable) option at this point, since you have an attached garage, deck and all these features, would be to correct the drainage problem from the inside, by installing an interior drainage system and a good sump pump system.

There is drainage at both exits of the drain tile. One exit is 30-40' away from the garage side of the house. The other is in front of the house and goes downhill underground for nearly 200'. The gutter downspouts tie in to them, so it's possible that the water that exits the drain tile may be just from the gutters.

Howdy again. without photos . You may consider installing a french drain in a gravel bed in the yard. If the slope is upgrade from the house. Was just reading a book about this- suggested trenching, 10 foot away from the foundation, to the bottom of the foundation installing 8" of gravel then the drain pipe then a foot of gravel and back filling. The out let must be down slope at 1/4" per foot of run the outlet down slope from the house or into a sump pit... Good time to get some bids from a waterproofing company and pick their brains about the alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by coblas View Post
    When there is a heavy rain or massive thawing, my basement floods with water entering where the wall and floor meet. The gutters seem to be fine. (I ran water through the downspouts which tie in to drain tile originally installed outside around the foundation, and water exited at the ends of the pipes.) Would hydraulic cement or epoxy around the inside perimeter (maybe after chiseling out a "V") solve the problem? There's no sump pump.
    I would recommend the first thing to address is getting the down spouts out of the weeping tiles. Deeping on what type of weeping drain pipes are in place , that exceesive amount of water coming from the down spouts would over whelm the the drains. In some older homes clay or cast pipes were laid along the perimeter footings. Each section of pipe had about a 1/4 inch or 1/8 inch gap from the adjoining pipe. This allowed the water to enter from the soil.
    Over time , especially the clay pipe they would crack or break and allowing the downspouts to empty into these would spill huge amount of unwanted water down along the foundation. Also with the excess water from the downspouts can force water out of the gaps intended for inlets.

Interesting comments. I know the perimeter drain tile is plastic, having had the house built (in 1970), and the perforations in the pipe face downward. I believe it was installed properly (location, gravel, straw, slope, etc.), although, at this point, it probably doesn't matter. Professional advice at the time was that a sump pump wasn't necessary. Gutters and extending the pipes came 15 or so years later as attempts to solve the flooding problem. (See my comment from 12/21/10.) Prior to that, the lowest pipe exited from the footings to the front into an underground dry well (french drain) 30-40' down the slope, but my thinking was that the flooding indicated it couldn't handle it. My best guess at this point is that the drain tile is damaged, partly because the flooding didn't always occur in the front, but does now. Hard to know if the gutter downspouts are contributing to the problem, especially since they were added years later with the intention of stopping the floods. They do drain freely to the outlets.

Quote Originally Posted by coblas View Post
    Interesting comments. I know the perimeter drain tile is plastic, having had the house built (in 1970), and the perforations in the pipe face downward. I believe it was installed properly (location, gravel, straw, slope, etc.), although, at this point, it probably doesn't matter. Professional advice at the time was that a sump pump wasn't necessary. Gutters and extending the pipes came 15 or so years later as attempts to solve the flooding problem. (See my comment from 12/21/10.) Prior to that, the lowest pipe exited from the footings to the front into an underground dry well (french drain) 30-40' down the slope, but my thinking was that the flooding indicated it couldn't handle it. My best guess at this point is that the drain tile is damaged, partly because the flooding didn't always occur in the front, but does now. Hard to know if the gutter downspouts are contributing to the problem, especially since they were added years later with the intention of stopping the floods. They do drain freely to the outlets.
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the perforations or holes in his pipe supposed to be up and not facing down?? If they face down they won't catch the water, if they face up the water rises and enters the pipe through the holes and drains down the solid or bottom of the pipe. Sounds like his drain pipe may be installed wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Sten View Post
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the perforations or holes in his pipe supposed to be up and not facing down?? If they face down they won't catch the water, if they face up the water rises and enters the pipe through the holes and drains down the solid or bottom of the pipe. Sounds like his drain pipe may be installed wrong.
    I'm not absolutely certain of which way the drain tile was installed, although I recall something about straw being placed on top of it, so you may be right. Flooding wasn't a problem at first, but progressed over time. Investigating the pipe isn't an option anyway since so much of it runs under the house (front back to front), or I would have gone that route.

I had a flood in my basement on March 14th, but it didn't come through the Xypex. It had been applied 18" up the wall and water didn't come in above it either. My impression is that the Xypex redirected the water more than anticipated and possibly downward--some seemed to have come up through the floor and it hadn't done that in the past. The contractor came back and said flooding had never happened before in the 7 years he had been working with Xypex. He applied more all around the basement and in a few areas where he hadn't and now I have to wait for flooding conditions again. I keep checking to make sure I can see exactly where it's coming from. Meanwhile, I'm considering my options. Stay tuned...