+ Reply to Thread

Question room above garage

I am finishing the room above my garage. I have a light already in it that is hooked up to a switch. It works. I want to jump the ***** from that switch to two other new switches that I will put into a new electrial blue box. I thought that if I install the new light I could just jump a new wire from the existing switch to the new switch and it would work. Of course that did not work. How do I get ***** from existing switch to ***** the new switch? I have the wall open and can see the old switch has two black wires into it one from top and one on bottom. The white wires are wire nutted together and do not connect to the existing switch is this where ***** is coming from? Any help would be great.

Default Re: room above garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fsoucek@bex.net View Post
    I am finishing the room above my garage. I have a light already in it that is hooked up to a switch. It works. I want to jump the ***** from that switch to two other new switches that I will put into a new electrial blue box. I thought that if I install the new light I could just jump a new wire from the existing switch to the new switch and it would work. Of course that did not work. How do I get ***** from existing switch to ***** the new switch? I have the wall open and can see the old switch has two black wires into it one from top and one on bottom. The white wires are wire nutted together and do not connect to the existing switch is this where ***** is coming from? Any help would be great.
    You can pig tail from the black wire ,that is from the ***** source,bottom wire,to the other switches,if you use single pole switches, the pigtails(black wire,from source) will go on the (off) side of the switch, (on) side of switch will go to other lights, all white wires will go together w/wirenuts. make sure you get a big enough box.