+ Reply to Thread

Default Need to remove eggshell paint on bathroom ceiling and repaint

A few weeks ago, I had to do some minor repair around the recessed lighting cans in our bathroom. Well, I did the repairs and unfortunately, tried some eggshell paint over the finish rather than the flat paint that was on. This is showing up quite obviously!!

I will now need to remove the paint from the 1ft x 1ft square area around both recessed lights, and repaint with the flat paint that should have been applied. I had originally tried painting over the eggshell, but that did not help--the shiny eggshell shows obviously when looked at an angle. I need to know if you know of a safe way (i.e., minimal damage to the ceiling) for removing the eggshell paint (and the one layer of flat paint over it) and repainting it with the flat finish paint.

Any help appreciated by this newbie!

Sonny.

Default Re: Need to remove eggshell paint on bathroom ceiling and repaint

Don't try to remove the paint, that will only result in damage and major headaches.

Repaint the entire ceiling with primer, two good even coats, then finish with two top coats of your paint of choice.

In the future, when you have a patch to blend in, you should prime the patch area only, then prime the entire wall or ceiling, then paint the entire wall or ceiling. The problem with patches is that they are fresh and absorb a lot of paint, which causes dull shadows against surrounding areas that are already painted. The primer seals the bare patch and starts building up the layers of paint so that by the time you're finished, the patch will have the same sheen as the rest of the area. And yes, you will have to repaint the entire ceiling/wall if you want the patch to disappear, otherwise dirt on the existing paint or mistinting of the new paint will stick out like a sore thumb. When you stop fresh paint at a corner or trim line, minor differences in coloration won't be noticeable.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Sonny,

You should spend more time listening to Spruce's
    advice and less time reading Dylan Thomas' poetry
    I concurr with Spruce. It is extremely hard to touch up paint, even if you use the exact original paint. I would add that if your bath gets fogged up with showers, flat paint is not generally a good choice. By its' nature, it is too porous for high humidity environments.

I similar situation exists when do-it-yourselfers cut-in all the edges in a room before rolling the open areas. That edging is usually set or dry by the time you roll the open wall areas. Because the edges are now sealed better than the surrounding areas, they often appear more shiny. Indeed, they might actually slightly change color too! It is best to simultaneously bring the wall down as a whole, maintaining a wet edge.

My position on priming is that it is NEVER wrong to prime, although it is sometimes overkill. Priming gives you a fresh, even "canvas" upon which to paint. It provides a uniform background, both sealing and color wise.

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    flat paint is not generally a good choice. By its' nature, it is too porous for high humidity environments.
    Good catch! I generally use semi-gloss in kitchens and baths. Eggshell is a compromise between flat and semi-gloss. It's better than flat (in wet environments ) but not as good as semi-gloss or gloss paint.

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    My position on priming is that it is NEVER wrong to prime, although it is sometimes overkill. Priming gives you a fresh, even "canvas" upon which to paint. It provides a uniform background, both sealing and color wise.
    Agreed. The point of using it in this instance is to get some sealing and layers over the patch areas so that they don't shadow. Because the egg shell has caused some flashing, priming the whole ceiling will help to cover the flash and blend the old and new areas together.

Before you do any more paint work, make sure you've washed the areas to be painted with TSP to degrease and clean so that primer and paint will stick.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Oh yeah....
    DON'T remove the Eggshell paint!!
    The slight sheen will help with water-vapor resistance.
    Flats are worthless in that regard.

As the previous dudes said here:
    IDEALLY re-prime everything.
    TWO full coats of Eggshell.

NOW you'll have a trouble-free appearance for a long time.

Faron