+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default protect your knees!

howdy folks, for those who dont know me from the boards, im a senior poster for 3 years or so. i am a licensed carpenter in canada and work in high end renovation plus new construction.

back in febuary while installing a custom trim package on a complete reno my knee swelled up with fluid but and stayed like this for several weeks, slowly getting more swollen and more painful. then went in to get it looked at by a gp... she told me its bursitis or "water on the knee", told me to take anti-inflammatorys and it would go away. 3 months later it was still there and even more painful.. went into emerge,,, had to wait 3 hrs to be told by another gp something i already knew... a week after that my family doctor got me into orthopedics.. when the doc asked how long its been like this he immediatly drained it removing almost 60 ml of fluid. 1 month later i went for a follow up. doc said the fluid had high white blood cell counts and traces of staph... so antibiotics... another month later drained again put on antibiotics.. 2 weeks after that the doc called me to tell me the second draining had bacteria in it so antibiotics once again....4 weeks ago another draining.. 3 days after it filled up again...

so.. in 4 or 5 days im getting the bursa removed which means 10 days completely off the leg, and 2 or 3 weeks off work..

whats this enitle.. listen to the elders.. for homeowners who think what we do is easy pay more respect to the crafstman who love what they do and beat up their bodies building the dream home you always wanted and now are getting. for teh diy'ers wear knee pads, and if something is causing pain stop doing it immediately, take a rest, ask a buddy to help to make it less strenous, or hire a pro but dont treat them like their less than you
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Default Re: protect your knees!

I've always been a proponent of knee pads when doing floor work. I'm even more avid about it now since 5 years ago I was doing some mild cleaning out in the shop which entailed kneeling a few times on a wood floor. Later that night my right knee swelled up. It took several weeks of keeping it elevated and iced before it went back to "normal". While it's never swollen back up again, it's never felt quite right. Now, I never kneel without pads on. On the occasion I don't have pads, I'll kneel on the toe of my other foot, wad up a towel, or find some other means to pad it.

Moral of the story, as Jkirk has expressed as well, an ounce of prevention will save you a lifetime of problems.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

im only 30 at that.. i had knee problems when i was younger from sports... someone told me 8 years ago " from what your telling me, you'll have surgery ATLEAST once by the time your 40....

i should mention.. as i wont be able to be on my feet the first few days. sprucey ill be accepting fully delivered beer to my chair .

or multiple impulse nailers and bosch drills to compete with riz's collection (insider info)

Hmmmmm No one said the life of a tradesman was peaches n cream. jkirk I know the feeling,2 yrs ago I had bilateral knee replacement. That means both knees....ouch. I was only 52 yrs old. All the young whipper snappers need to listen to us old timers.....Protect your bodys.....
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    im only 30 at that.. i had knee problems when i was younger from sports... someone told me 8 years ago " from what your telling me, you'll have surgery ATLEAST once by the time your 40....
    Well there you go, once you get the first one out of the way, the rest are a piece of cake!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I had a client that went through a bi-lateral knee replacement. I was amazed at how fast he was up and walking around. Me, I'd be all whiny like Jkirk and want refreshing beverages delivered to my comfy chair, as I watched the Lingerie Bowl on the sports network.

Spruce,they had me up walking the next day,it was crazy. Then 6 weeks after surgery they figured out I got a darn Staph infection in the hospital. They had to go back in and clean them out,then 8 week of IV's at home 2 times a day....Now that sucked.

Hey did I mention Im 1.5" taller...lol
    Gizmo

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

uhh no more talk of staph infection..... they already found that in the fluid they drained

as for bilateral... my old man is getting ready for that in the spring hes 67

jk the best advive I can give you for your dad is,start lifting small bumb bells weight weeks before the surgery. His natural instinct when he 1st uses the walker is to hold his weight up due to not trusting the new titanium knees, he will get tired until he trust them..

Also dont let anyone touch his wounds without surgical gloves on.,......

Good luck
    Gizmo

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content