+ Reply to Thread

Default Vinyl on hardwood

I recently pulled up some very old carpet in my recently purchased old home and discovered even older vinyl between the carpet and original hardwood floors. As I pulled the vinyl up, much of the white backing separated from the top layer of vinyl and is stuck to the floor. I was able to get about half of it up with a putty knife, but the rest is positively glued down. Is there any trick to loosening this stuff well enough to pull it up? I have tried sanding it, and while it works OK it is very time-consuming and is eating up the sanding belts in record time.
    Last edited by emlou74; 12-16-2010 at 01:04 PM.

Default Re: Vinyl on hardwood

Not that I've done this before, but I would try a heat gun along with your putty knife. Have you tried that?

Smile Re: Vinyl on hardwood

I have used the heat gun method...it's kinda messy, but does help get the actual linoleum up. What grit of sandpaper on your belt sander are you using? We had linoleum down on top of hardwood and there was this horrible tar/glue stuff on the floor the only way we got it up (after getting the actual linoleum up which came up very easily) was to use 20 grit belts on it...and it came up finally, the higher the grit the more it got ate up with the tar. So we used the 20 grit which didn't get eaten up so quickly and then followed up with the finer grit paper. Good luck!

Default Re: Vinyl on hardwood

Do not sand, dry sweep, dry s c r a p e, drill, saw, beadblast, or mechanically chip or pulverize existing resilient flooring, backing, lining felt, asphaltic "cutback" adhesive, or other adhesive.

These products may contain asbestos fibers and/or crystalline silica.

Avoid creating dust. Inhalation of such dust is a cancer and respiratory tract hazard.

Smoking by individuals exposed to asbestos fibers greatly increases the risk of serious bodily harm.

Unless positively certain that the product is a non-asbestos-containing material, you must presume it contains asbestos. Regulations may require that the material be tested to determine asbestos content.

RFCI's Recommended Work Practices for Removal of Resilient Floor Coverings are a defined set of instructions addressed to the task of removing all resilient floor covering structures.