+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Insulating interior walls

In each bedroom... the interior walls are very cold to the touch. I'm thinking that there must not be any insulation behind them. Is there a way to insert insulation without removing interior walls?

Default Re: Insulating interior walls

Howdy are you meaning the walls that are not attached to the exterior of the house? If so the place to look is in the attic above the walls to see if there is fiberglass insulation and if so to locate the walls under it to then seal any openings like around pipes, chimneys, electrical wires or open areas... spray can foam insulation works great. But if metal chimney pipe use a fire resistant mastic instead). The interior walls can chimney air up an out there the fiberglass insulation making them and the rooms cold. Stopping the chimney effect by sealing the top will make a profound difference. Cellulose insulation does not let air move threw it so adding it also stops the air flow.

Yes, I mean the walls attached to the exterior of the house.

Anybody out there? I'm still waiting for a response to my last post. signed HELP!

you can get insulation blown in. they'll cut a hole in the middle of each cavity, insert a hose, and blow in insulation untl it's starting to come out the hold. at that point the hole is plugged and patched.

any obstructions that don't allow you to fill in the entire cavity will have to have another hole cut below and above to continue filling it.

normally you don't have interior walls insulated except for the purpose of helping to sound insulate rooms.

So read my above posting about how to stop interior walls from up drafting the air by sealing the top plates in the attic.... if questions write again.

on most of the homes i renovate any time were installing new siding we put 1" foam on all the walls, we completely strip the old siding off to ensure no rot or structural damage is occuring. once the wall is bare we have our insulator come in and do blown in from the outside,

in situations where you simply want blown in but arent going teh full distance with the reno vinyl is the most user friendly, they simply have to unlock a course of siding every 4 ft or so to drill their holes then fill and repair.. move on to the next house
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Hi how old is your home? if very old does it have knob and tub wiring in the wall cavity if so then you cannot blow in insullation in the cavities that have the wiring as it can cause fires the knob an tub must have air space to dissipate heat. So if no knob and tub then you can have blown in insulation cellulose. If your walls are not top plated -balloon construction, its possible to insulate from the attic. If walls are top plated then holes are drilled into the wall from the outside or from the inside to allow a hose to be inserted and insulation installed. Sorry my mistake i thought you inferred interior not exterior walls.