+ Reply to Thread

Default Unique Foundation Issue

After purchasing my first house, I have found my basement has a water issue. Please see my very basic drawing that should be attached, as my basement seems very non-standard. The water seepage is the issue I'd like to correct. Looking at where the water must be coming from, I'm afraid this is a very complex problem, but solving it should keep the water out, and prevent my foundation from being slowly undermined. Is this something that can be solved outside the foundation, in the crawl space, or inside the basement itself? Trench drain outside, trench drain in crawl space, or perhaps a french drain in the basement slab? Logically it seems the point is to keep the water from making it to the crawl space and slowly undermining the foundation's footer. I'm just not sure of the best way to go about doing that. Please help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	double footer problem.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	3814  

Default Re: Unique Foundation Issue

Quote Originally Posted by FoundationWorry View Post
    Logically it seems the point is to keep the water from making it to the crawl space and slowly undermining the foundation's footer. I'm just not sure of the best way to go about doing that. Please help!
    I agree with having an exterior drain system installed aroung the footing. This will prevent the water from entering into the crawl space which is preferable.
    One other thing with your diagram is the footing for the upper foundation. Seems to be a precarious setup with the crawl space lower than that footing , especially if it's just dirt.