+ Reply to Thread

Default Precharged water tank and check valve problem

Within 10 years my precharged water tank has become waterlogged causing the pump to short cycle. Can they be repaired? Also the check valve slams shut making a noise that is heard througout the house. It is not visable in the basament. Could it be in the well pipe above the pump? It makes the loud noise when it is closing.
    Last edited by Navman; 12-15-2010 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Add when the noise for check valve occurs.

Default Re: Precharged water tank and check valve problem

You can't repair a precharged tank but you can check to see if it has just lost its charge. Well Pressure Tanks
    Close the valve between the pump and the tank and drain the system. Then check the pressure in the tank with a tire pressure gauge. It should read 2 PSi below the pump cut in pressure setting(usually 28 psi). If it doesn't, pump it up. Turn the system back on and let it cycle through a couple times. If it still short cycles, time for a new tank.
    Does the noise happen when the pump turns on or off?
    Plumbing and Heating Tech.
    My plumbing website Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by plumbinghelp.ca View Post
    You can't repair a precharged tank but you can check to see if it has just lost its charge. Well Pressure Tanks
    Close the valve between the pump and the tank and drain the system. Then check the pressure in the tank with a tire pressure gauge. It should read 2 PSi below the pump cut in pressure setting(usually 28 psi). If it doesn't, pump it up. Turn the system back on and let it cycle through a couple times. If it still short cycles, time for a new tank.
    Does the noise happen when the pump turns on or off?
    Thank You plumbinghelp.ca That took care of the short cycling. The tank was down to 8 lbs. of pressure.
    The check valve is loud when it closes.
    It appears that the check valve is installed in the well pipe above the pump. I suppose I will need a pitless adaptor wrench to pull it. correct?

Yes you would need a pitless adapter wrench to pull it, but without knowing your "handyness level" I would suggest hiring a pro.

Thanks again,
    Presurizing the tank quited the check valve closing noise a lot. I will take your advice and get a pro. To bad we are a couple thousand miles apart or you would get the job.

Lol, Thanks Navman but my tools stay pretty clean these days, just glad to help.