+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Flooring

Default Flooring

Is there a difference between Prefinished hardwood flooring vs prefinished engineered hardwood flooring?

Default Re: Flooring

Is there a difference in the finish? Probably not.

Is there a difference in the flooring itself? Absolutely!

Full thickness hardwood is the most durable and the most expensive. It resists dents better. It can be resurfaced countless times. It is not as dimensionally stable.

Engineered hardwood is basically plywood, in that it's layers of wood sheets. This results in a floor that is more dimensionally stable (it doesn't expand/contract as much, nor does it warp or cup. Unfortunately, unless you're buying top of the line engineered wood, the surface layer of wood is so thin that it cannot be refinished - ever! Better brands do have a thicker surface layer and can be gently screened once or twice.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

yup, engineered has roughly 1/8"-3/16" veneer which can handle 1 heavy sanding given that it doesnt have dents and deep gouges.so you can stain it later on.

hardwood is 3/4" thick of which 1/4" - 5/16" worth of wood to sand down . its why its still in homes 100 years old.

engineered is rated for about 10 years, laminate..... give it 3 months and it will be damaged, especially if you have kids or a dog
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    yup, engineered has roughly 1/8"-3/16" veneer which can handle 1 heavy sanding given that it doesnt have dents and deep gouges.so you can stain it later on.
    Ah, ah, ah, not so fast Kimo Sabe,way too many manufacturers have maybe, MAYBE, a 1/16th" veneer surface, which can't be refinished at all. Anyone looking to install an engineered surface in their primary residence really needs to look at the actual finish layer thickness. When I installed engineered flooring in my home 10 years ago it was Kahrs because it had the thickest veneer (approx 1/8" ).

For a turn and burn (investment home ) the cheap stuff may be sufficient, but for a primary residence, please, be smart and go with full thickness hardwood or a top brand of engineered that's going to last longer than it takes the contractor to get out of your driveway. You'll be glad you did.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

thats because your using the american stuff. much thinner just like the beer you guys have.. 3.5% ........ up here we drink 8%

Don't lump me in with the swill drinkers, I'm a home brewer and microbrew pub kinda guy. My beers run 5% the pub beers are around 8%. What I really like is a good barley wine which 10 - 15%.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Don't lump me in with the swill drinkers, I'm a home brewer and microbrew pub kinda guy. My beers run 5% the pub beers are around 8%. What I really like is a good barley wine which 10 - 15%.

jkirk get the B&D sidewinder saw out of Spruce's hands before he drinks or remove the blade.... ACCIDENT WAITING TO HAPPEN..LOL
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    jkirk get the B&D sidewinder saw out of Spruce's hands before he drinks or remove the blade.... ACCIDENT WAITING TO HAPPEN..LOL
    Ain't no sidewinders in this household! I only use saws that will break your arm before removing it.

ahh yes, black and deckers dont break your arm they just break same with their yellow and black adopted son.

a good friend home brews as well. latest batch is a coffee stout. i think the heaviest ive drank was a 12% from scotland. theres a few that are in the 40% as well

Quote Originally Posted by spinnaga View Post
    Is there a difference between Prefinished hardwood flooring vs prefinished engineered hardwood flooring?
    Spinnaga, we're just keeping your thread warm until you come back to it.

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    ahh yes, black and deckers dont break your arm they just break same with their yellow and black adopted son.

a good friend home brews as well. latest batch is a coffee stout. i think the heaviest ive drank was a 12% from scotland. theres a few that are in the 40% as well
    My primary brew is a pale ale, which is low at 4 - 5%. I want to get into porters and Scotch ales, both can tip 9-10%, I just haven't had the time to experiment. My former pub had what they called a double shot, which was a porter base with chocolate and coffee added into the aging tank. Talk about some danged good beer! I don't remember what the ABV was, probably 7-8%. When I have both time and money, I need to revamp my brewing set up and convert to all grain. I also want to start kegging because there is a lot of waste using bottles.