+ Reply to Thread

Threaded View

Default Colonial Entry Way Cracking

Hello All,

I have a question about my 1915 Colonial up in Duluth, Minnesota. Previous owners of the house installed wrought iron posts on the entry way in the front of the house (see attached pics). The problem is every winter (this is our second in the house) it seems frost under the front step, which the iron posts are attached, is causing the posts to push up the roof of the entry way. It is severe enough that a crack has actually formed just above the door (again see the pics).

I want to remove the wrought iron posts for multiple reasons including this issue , but I am not sure if they are required for supporting the roof. I looked around where the posts are attached to the roof and I don't see any remnants of where previous posts were attached.

I guess the other option would be to dig out the front step and reinstall it with footings below the frost line? Then install new posts (not wrought iron).

Anyone have an opinion? Is there a way I can tell if the posts are needed, structurally?

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	3796   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	3797   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	3798   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 4.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	3799   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 5.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	3800