+ Reply to Thread

Default How do I turn off convector?

First time homeowner and I have convectors. Unfinished attic area has convectors that I would like to turn off. How do I do that?

Default Re: How do I turn off convector?

Kate,

If you can post back and tell us what kind of heat you have (forced hot water with radiators, forced hot water with baseboard, steam heat with radiators, forced hot air with registers, radiant floor heat, electric heat with baseboard, etc,)
    we will have a better idea on how to help you---all these types of heat involve convectors.
    Last edited by NashuaTech; 12-12-2010 at 11:33 AM.

Hello, I am a new homeowner.I have an oil fired forced hot water system. there are baseboard radiators that are different than traditional baseboard. I was told they are called convectors. There is a valve that, when turned, water comes out (to bleed?). But I want to turn it off completely. Can't see any other valve. Thanks, Kate

Kate,

The fact that your convectors don't have an on/off valve on them indicates that the particular way they were installed does not allow that the convectors should be turned off.

Of course, this could be inaccurate, but do some preliminary checking----try opening the covers of the other convectors in your apt. or house to see if any of the others have any on/off valves---if not, the piping system was probably installed as a single series loop where the hot water flows thru one convector, then goes in series thru the next convector, and so on...if one convector should be turned off, the system would be shut down & you would get no heat.

Check the Beacon-Morris site below; at the site, click onto "products", then "residential", then onto "select other residential products", then onto "convector"---this may or may not jibe with what you have in your home; regardless, all hot water "convectors" work essentially the same---they accept hot water in one side, surrender the heat, & pass the cooled water on to the next convector.

Also check the "high performance" site below to view the diagrams of how baseboard/convectors are piped in different homes---at the site, scroll down to "hot water boiler piping"--- in these diagrams, the blue box represents the boiler, the red & orange lines represent the hot water flowing thru the convectors; notice that the series loop diagram does not allow more than one path for the water to flow thru each convector, & thus they don't allow shut-off valves; scrolling down, the monoflo-diverter valve system does allow shut-offs, as does the two-pipe return, & two-pipe reverse return.

If you have access to the cellar & can view the piping arrangement, or have a friend to help, you can usually determine which type of piping system you have.

If your system does not allow a shut-off valve to be installed, you can still greatly reduce the heat coming out of a particular convector by buying a small amount of pink blanket insulation at Home Depot/Lowe's (pink insulatiion is fireproof & can stand high temps--buy the type with no paper backing, or remove the backing when you get home); remove the cover of the convector you want to cool down & wrap the heating elements inside with the pink blanket----always wear rubber/latex gloves and a dust mask when handling pink fiberglass insulation---if you have access to the cellar or attic, you may find a rich supply of white or pink fiberglass insulation already installed in your home---by all means, use THAT in lieu of going out to buy some; the same dust mask & gloves precautions apply.

Another way to get control of a convector is to have a plumber come in & repipe the convector you want to cool down so that it is offset from the series piping (as noted in the monoflo piping arrangement)---in this case a shutoff CAN be installed; this would cost much more than the pink insulation method, but is another option.

http://www.beacon-morris.com
    http://highperformancehvac.com/hot-water-boiler-loops
    Last edited by NashuaTech; 12-13-2010 at 10:35 PM.

Nashua Tech,
    That was a great explanation and the links were also helpful to me.

I have a question regarding my system which I will post in another thread.