+ Reply to Thread

Question Anyone know why my floor was framed this way?

I have a 1950's era house where the main living room cantilevers out past the foundation wall approximately 2-3'. Typically, the floor joists run north-south. in order to frame the cantilever, the joists change direction and run east-west. At this change in direction, the floor joists were notched at the top corner and a 2x2 was installed flush with the top of the joists. Anyone have any ideas what the purpose of this 2x2 is? Was this a typical framing detail in the 1950's? I have attached a picture and a sketch for reference.

At the living room floor, there is a gap in the hardwood at the point where the joists change direction - basically directly over the 2x2 ledger. Filling the gap in the floor is not a problem, but I am trying to figure out if the gap in the floor and the 2x2 member are related.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gap_in_hw_floor_Page_1.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	9.9 KB 
ID:	2131

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gap_in_hw_floor_Page_2.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	12.9 KB 
ID:	2132

Default Re: Anyone know why my floor was framed this way?

The 2 X 2 is a stop. The joists running to the left in the picture is like a teeter totter with a wall on one end and the foundation acting as the pivot point. The stop prevents the weight of the wall fronm lifting the inside end.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thumbs up Re: Anyone know why my floor was framed this way?

Thanks for the reply, Jack - that makes perfect sense. I guess nowadays, one would just use a joist hanger to prevent uplift, but back in the 1950's they didn't have that option.

It does look like an inverted ledger .... though never been done around these parts .... even in the 50's.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

As far as the gap in the flooring, I suspect that the weight of the cantilevered wall has bowed the joists slightly. To correct this you would have to jack the out side wall up to level and sister steel plates on the joists or install suports under the cantilevered wall.
    Jack

I had seen it in new construction back in the 50's. Unfortuutly that problem is common for this particular type of construction.
    Jack

Perhaps because we've used the 2 to 1 rule for cantilever joists minimizes the movement ... might explain why I haven't seen that method used around here.
    - Rush

Back in the late 50's and 60's there were a lot of developments that went up with some very shoddy workmanship. They would slap simulated marble window stools or some other inexpensive feature to keep people from looking at the actual construction. I even saw one development where the put vinyl sheet flooring down on 1 X sub floors with gaps. About 2 days after people moved in you could see every gap telegraphing through the flooring. I see a lot being built now with MDF stairs which have to be replaced in less than 8 years.
    Jack

Generally.... I found the homes that were built till about the 60's were pretty good .... for the most part. Sure you found the odd thing here and there that was questionable.
    But after that ... man some of the junk construction sure makes one shake your head wondering what the heck...???
    - Rush