+ Reply to Thread

Default Exterior and Interior Door Material

I am building a new home starting this spring, but I have a lot of free time between now and when the build starts. In order to feel like I'm accomplishing things, I've been building doors for my nonexistent house. So far I have one flat panel cross and bible interior door and a craftsman style exterior front door. Both doors are made of American black walnut. (I was fortunate to acquire a large quantity of Walnut about a year and a half ago, 3000 bdf.)

Like my father I enjoy acquiring things, although I never know exactly what I'm looking for, I keep my eyes and ears open for opportunities. Recently I've come a crossed a large volume of reclaimed cedar boards. Most boards are 2+ inches thick, 12ish inches wide and + or - 80 inches long. The first thing that comes to mind is a large quantity of cedar doors.

My question is, will cedar make decent interior doors? If not what else can I make with this new found treasure?

Default Re: Exterior and Interior Door Material

Quote Originally Posted by skicoleman1 View Post
    I am building a new home starting this spring, but I have a lot of free time between now and when the build starts. In order to feel like I'm accomplishing things, I've been building doors for my nonexistent house. So far I have one flat panel cross and bible interior door and a craftsman style exterior front door. Both doors are made of American black walnut. (I was fortunate to acquire a large quantity of Walnut about a year and a half ago, 3000 bdf.)

Like my father I enjoy acquiring things, although I never know exactly what I'm looking for, I keep my eyes and ears open for opportunities. Recently I've come a crossed a large volume of reclaimed cedar boards. Most boards are 2+ inches thick, 12ish inches wide and + or - 80 inches long. The first thing that comes to mind is a large quantity of cedar doors.

My question is, will cedar make decent interior doors? If not what else can I make with this new found treasure?
    It can --- depends on if it's clear cedar and how it looks after running it through a planer and what the look your trying to achieve on the inside of the home.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

ive seen several cedar interior doors, i have one in my place as a matter of fact. there common in older homes where that was the easiest wood to come by.. its soft and is easily dented though. if your going to build your own doors, just be sure to keep the wood and doors in a climate controlled environment so that they dont go through a major moisture content shift when they get installed at the new house. it will cause the doors to warp
    fire up the saw and make some dust

If the cedar does not look to make doors to your satisfaction, may I suggest closet shelving? Cedar is proven to be a moth repellent. Furniture?

Wooden door i like the most, it looks beautiful and as well as you can draw any design that is in your mind with paint