+ Reply to Thread

Default insulating an Elevevated concrete monolithic slab

The family room in the house we bought used to be the garage area that was taken over for living space. The floor is monolithic concrete pour with foam pad and carpet but he floor is always cold. There is a unheated basement area (separate from the rest of the house) under the garage and I would like to insulate it somehow so the floor would feel warmer and the room would be easier to heat. I have considered glueing double sheets of 4X8 2 inch rigid foan and sealing up the gaps with spray foam. Another option would be to spray a 4 inch layer of closed cell spray foam ov the entire basement ceiling. Heating the basement area is out of the question. Any Thoughts?

Default Re: insulating an Elevevated concrete monolithic slab

Foam should not be left exposed. It should be covered with drywall or other approve material.
    What you propose sounds reasonable. Rigid will be cheaper than spray on.

You should also look at thermal breaking the perimeter of the slab on the exterior. Chances are the 3 perimeter edges are exposed to the cold outdoor temps and conducting that cold inward.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

What's a good method to thermal break the 3 perimeter walls?? I have about 7 inches of exposed concrete on all 3 edges of my finished sun-room.