+ Reply to Thread

Default Removing my ground wire, help?

I am in the process of remodeling my basement. The electrical is a mess and I am replacing and rerouting allot of the wires.
    From my main breaker box, there is a thick braided unshielded cable that runs from the box to the water pipe that comes into my house. The cable is clamped down to my water pipe..
    There are some spots where it hangs below a floor joist, and I want to re-route it so that it will be more tidy and I can put up a ceiling without interference.
    When I started to loosen the screws on the clamp at the water pipe and the cable started to get loose, there was some slight sparking and my lights flickered.
    I ceased what I was doing and tightened the screws back down.

What am I doing wrong, and what can I do?

Did I almost kill myself?

Default Re: Removing my ground wire, help?

The ground should not be hot. You could turn the ***** off to be safe. Re-route the wire and hook it back up. You could run a new wire to the outside and drive a eight foot grounding rod in the ground. I would use solid wire,and keep it about 6" below grade.

That is a very odd situation you have there, you should not get any sparking on a ground wire unless somehow there is a short somewhere but that should have tripped a breaker. I would have a qualified electrician look at your situation. Just turning off the Main and moving the wire isn't going to solve the underlying problem.

Yea, it's weird.
    I can't turn the main breaker to the house off. When I move the main breaker switch to the off position, all the lights still stay on.

One weird thing that I did run into which had me scratching my head was when I was cleaning up one of the many jammed utility boxes. There was a neutral white wire that was pig tailed into a bare ground wire. Is that normal?

Stop playing with it and get a electrician. I would think your life is worth more the a service call.

John

Quote Originally Posted by mwalters View Post
    Yea, it's weird.
    I can't turn the main breaker to the house off. When I move the main breaker switch to the off position, all the lights still stay on.
    That's completely wrong and unsafe wiring and needs to be corrected ASAP.

One weird thing that I did run into which had me scratching my head was when I was cleaning up one of the many jammed utility boxes. There was a neutral white wire that was pig tailed into a bare ground wire. Is that normal?
    No -- it's not normal. If it is a neutral line tied to ground would explain the current flow resulting in the sparks experienced earlier. It's incorrect and dangerous not only for property damage but to personal safety.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o View Post
    Stop playing with it and get a electrician. I would think your life is worth more the a service call.

John
    Ditto that......
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

it sounds like someone DIY'd it, and did it without ever going through a permit process.

triple the above. get an electrician.

Ditto on getting an electrician. The neutral and ground should be tied together ONLY at the main disconnect. But if turning off the main does not turn off ALL of your loads, it sounds like someone may have connected loads to the line side of the meter. Better know as "stealing *****". As a utility electrician, we see this a lot. You need to find out what is going on ASAP, because the main is there to prevent fire in case of a fault. Ahead of the main, the only overload protection is the primary fuse at the transformer, which takes a LOT of current to blow.
    Just because you can, it doesn't mean you should!