+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Outdoor Faucet

Default Outdoor Faucet

Adding to my list of first-time homeowner errors: Chicago froze before I remembered to drain the outside faucet line! I shut off the valve on the inside and opened the spigot on the outside, but nothing came out. The kicker is that this summer we had installed a new "frost-free" spigot and replaced the line in the uninsulated space under the porch due to a break in the line which happened before we bought the house. Is there anything I can do to salvage the situation?

Default Re: Outdoor Faucet

Howdy- Crawl under porch & inspect the water line for freeze damage. Remember before you use the spigot in spring be sure to check to see if the petcock is not freeze damaged. It does not leak until you use the spigot as the shut off is about a foot back from the spigot. Another idea is to install bleed albe shutoff inside so you can drain the entire line from say in the basement out to the spigot.

Thanks Timothy. I'll have to look up a few of the words in your comment, but it sounds like a plan!

Howdy again - you are welcome. The petcock is the frost free part of the spigot. Consider a trip to plumbing store and look at one to see how the shut off valve is set back into the pipe attached to the spigot instead at the spigot itself. This is to allow the water to be held back inside the house and not at the exterior to reduce chance of freezing. I have handled many insurance claims where the hose was left on and the pipe between the spigot and the shut off froze and broke the about 1/2 cup of water runs out and no visible damage until spring when first time watering allows the water to rush out once the valve is open. Since one is out side watering an later discovers the water damage inside the house - some times it does huge damage.

The shut off that has a bleeder looks like any shut off but it has a knob on it that once you shut the valve off then you back the knob off which allows the water inside to run out of the pipe and then you shut the out side spigot off , knowing now that the pipe from the shut off to the spigot is empty. Be sure an caluk around the spigot to the siding so no air infiltration to avoid future freeze damage.