+ Reply to Thread

Question One pipe steam heat

I recently purchased a 4 unit buildingwhich is heated by boiler.I installed DanfossRA2000steam valves on all the radiators,withDanfoss RA2000 thermostatic controllers,and new vents. Unit 1 has the wall thermostat to control the boiler,so i felt like this unit didnt need the Danfoss valves,and controllers.The problem is,the back unit#4 is cold,yet units#1,2,and3 are comfortable.What can i do to get this back unit warm? should i move the wall stat to the back unit,since its the coldest?

Default Re: One pipe steam heat

It sounds like a balancing problem. You need to set the controllers lower on the units that are getting the heat sooner, to allow the slower units time to heat up. The problem your going to have is after you get it balanced your tenants are likely to change the settings on you. It may work better if you do move the thermostat to the colder unit then the other tenants will be turning theirs down.

John

I would first check to see if the MAIN STEAM VENTS on the main supply pipes to the units are all working properly---check especially the main vent for unit 4---it could be blocked with gunk & non-functional.

The main vents are usually in the cellar located just before the supply line branches upstairs to the rads---their job when the steam comes up is to be open to allow air to escape from the main, then close when the hot steam arrives, thus supplying hot steam to the branch rads of the particular unit.

The sites below deal with troubleshooting steam systems & some have diagrams of steam piping.

On the first site, click onto "parent directory", then scroll down to "steam heating systems", then scroll down to "steam vents".

Also Google "not all steam vents are located right on the radiators" (with quotes).

At the 3rd site, click onto "systems", then onto "steam", then onto "one-pipe systems".

http://www.inspect-ny.com/heat
    http://troubleshootingboilers.com
    http://www.heatinghelp.com
    Last edited by NashuaTech; 12-07-2010 at 09:08 AM.

Question Re: One pipe steam heat

Thanks for all the info.I went to HEAT HELP>COM,and got some good feed back.Im hearing that copper should be isolated with brass,then to cast,and im also hearing that galvenized pipe is a no-no ? Ive found 2 places where copper has been used- one place is below the water line in the return,the other is in-between cast in the main Any Comments???

Have you been able to get heat flowing in Unit #4????

Have you tried to clean or repair Main steam valve???

If the MSV is not working, you can soak it in hot vinegar on the stove for an hour.
    Last edited by NashuaTech; 12-24-2010 at 07:18 PM.