+ Reply to Thread

Default Insert heating ducts into old chimney for second floor

I have a small two story 120 year old farm house that has a non working chimney in-between two rooms. The top of the chimney is broken off in the attic. This chimney does not have any fireboxes, but only has openings for a free standing stove. We looked down it recently and it appears to have no clay tubes. It is simply a square chimney down to the basement.

Since I am limited on space, I was thinking it might be a good idea to reuse the chimney to run air ducts up to the second floor. The house already has air ducts going to the bottom floors from an oil furnace, but there aren't any ducts going up to the second floor.

Would it make sense to use this old chimney to run duct work up to the second floor? It would mean cutting some additional holes. Is this a good idea?

Has anyone else attempted something like this with good results?

Thanks!

Default Re: Insert heating ducts into old chimney for second floor

I would recommend having at least one heating contractor come in to look things over to see if some other way is feasable to extend the ducts (Yellow Pages: "Heating Contractors").

The consultation is free of charge & would leave the option open to use the chimney for some other use.

I assume the oil furnace is vented thru another chimney??