+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Question Water Coming from my Kitchen Exhaust Fan

Periodically I have water that drips onto my stove from my kitchen exhaust fan. My fan is vented through the attic to the roof and outside. There is no plumbing anywhere around that part of my kitchen. I'm concerned that this water is doing damage somewhere. Where is the water coming from?

Default Re: Water Coming from my Kitchen Exhaust Fan

just from what your telling me its sounds fairly obvious, the vent line isnt insulated up in the attic, any time you cook or boil water for that matter, the steam is going up through the vent then condensating on the cold pipe then running back down.. you should be able to simply disconnect the vent pipe up in the attic and install a insulation sleeve over it
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    just from what your telling me its sounds fairly obvious, the vent line isnt insulated up in the attic, any time you cook or boil water for that matter, the steam is going up through the vent then condensating on the cold pipe then running back down.. you should be able to simply disconnect the vent pipe up in the attic and install a insulation sleeve over it
    Then reconnect the pipe.

I agree, it sounds like a condensation problem from either use or escaping warm air from the house.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

mauckland --- you hadn't indicated when you see the drips.
    If it's related to use while cooking etc. , then absolutely concur with Mr. Kirk and Sprucey.
    Also , if you live in an area of colder winter temps. and you don't have a spring loaded damper on the exhaust line ,then you could have condensation issues from the warm moist inside air simply rising and condensing.
    It's also possible if you have snow on the roof it's being melted around the vent hood and leaking back down.

Of course no one else probably has snow unlike around these parts ---- sitting around 30 inches already.

Otherwise, if it's after or during rain -- well that's an issue with the seal at the roof hood.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush