+ Reply to Thread

Default Can you use siding on a roof with a normal pitch, instead of roofing materials?

We are putting a new roof on our garage and doing the work ourselves. We want to put on a metal roof as we did on our house a few years ago. However, I would like to find something more decorative than just the plain metal roof, since the garage & roof are in close proximity to our deck and is very visible from the house. We looked into the new metal shakes, etc., but they are very costly. So before we just give up and go with the plain metal roofing sheets, I was wondering if we could find some decorative siding (vinyl, etc) and put it on the roof instead of the sheets of plain metal roofing. The roof will be going over an existing shingle roof that is starting to lose a lot of it's shingles. Would the siding be able to shed water, snow, etc. like a metal roof would? We live in Indiana. What do you think?

Default Re: Can you use siding on a roof with a normal pitch, instead of roofing materials?

by no means should vinyl ever be used for roofing material, vinyl not only allows large amounts of water behind it but expands and contracts a great deal, combine this with being on a roof which gets extremely hot in the summer months and your asking for a pile of problems

teh only time the same product is used on the roof as the walls is with cedar shingles
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Default Re: Can you use siding on a roof with a normal pitch, instead of roofing materials?

There's a reason for differences between roofing and siding materials.
    In part the materials themselves but also the way in which they are fastened.
    Siding materials are designed in both materials and fastening to peform in a vertical orientation. They will shed water better on a vertical wall than say a horizontal plane like the roof.

For example you mentioned vinyl -- vinyl will distort with exposure to sun and temperature --- also the method of fastening each course doesn't provide a tight seal against water --- not a big deal ( so to speak ) when on a vertical wall.

However , place the same material on the roof and you will have major water leaks. Never mind it wouldn't stand up to foot traffic while being laid or any subsequent maintenance on the roof. Besides , when the vinyl distorts the roof would look crappy with all the waveness.

Your better off sticking with using products intended for roofing. They are designed to overlap properly forming the proper water tightness preventing leaks along with the materials are selected to withstand the harsh exposure being on the roof. Leave siding material for the walls.

2 cents worth.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

i was thinking about this thread again,, and come to think of it someone a few blocks from me tried doing this a few years ago. on a bay on the front of the house.. 6 months later the entire bay had to be torn off and rebuilt because the water damage was so severe. all i remember saying to myself when i saw the vinyl was .... stupid " theres a reason you hire pros and thats one of them
    fire up the saw and make some dust