+ Reply to Thread

Default Cold upstairs bedrooms

Walking into the bedrooms upstairs can be like walking into a refrigerator. Last week I applied shrink wrap to the window, thinking to prevent heat loss and found that it hasn't made much difference. My next thought is the ceiling. Our house is about 20 years old, with old blown-in insulation filling the attic. I'm thinking our problem is heat lost through the ceiling and I'm not sure what is best. If I go down and buy a bunch of fiberglass insulation and shove it in between the trusses, can it make a difference? I can't hire a contractor for this and if anyone can give some advice on this, I'd be appreciative.
    Thanks a lot.

Default Re: Cold upstairs bedrooms

Any additional insulation you can add either as a diy project or thru a contractor can only improve your chances of getting more heat upstairs.

R19 is recommended for the exterior walls and R40 for the attic; any insulation product you buy will have the R-rating stamped right on the package.

Don't give up on at least getting an estimate to have cellulose isulation blown in by a contractor (Yellow Pages: Insulation Contractors)--you'd be surprised how quickly it can be done & the price is usually reasonable.

Check out other factors; what kind of heat do you have upstairs???--is it an extension of central forced hot air, forced hot water, etc.??

Do you have registers or radiators/baseboard on the 2nd floor---is there enough heat getting up there??