+ Reply to Thread

Default Sump pump check valve noise

Just had a repair done to the sump pump. The pump is working fine and is relatively quiet. The new check valve however make a banging or hammer sound once the pump shut off from discharging the water. The new valve is a Zoeller 1 1/2" pipe. Are there any check valves that are super quiet, the pump is located in the basement right under a bedroom and the check valve is a bit disturbing. Thank you for your time concerning my issue.

Thanks,
    Bill G.

Default Re: Sump pump check valve noise

Try this one it has a rubber check instead of a metal one.

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/plumbin...lve-41615.html

John

Thanks John,

I will try this valve, the one that is already installed is located about three feet above the pump, I was thinking of placing the check valve at the base of the pump, it would be under a little bit of water all the time and the water may help reduce some of the noise that valve make. Any ideas on that?
    Thanks,
    Bill G.

I had the same problem after I replace my primary sump pump. I don't know why, but the original check valve (metal) became very noisy. Was fine before I replaced pump. I replaced it with a rubber check valve, and went one step further. I built an enclosed box for the check valve and the discharge pipes with a material called Homasote 440 Sound Barrier. With the house dead quiet you can barely hear the pump cycling. Purchased at Menard's. A 4x8 sheet costs approx. $20, and it's mold resistant.