+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Tell us WHAT YOU WANT TO BUILD and your topic could be featured

Suggest a Home-Center Project and you could end up building it with TOH general contractor Tom Silva for our upcoming Reader-Created issue.

Tell us your project ideas (for practical, easy upgrades that you can complete using widely available home center materials) and you could be featured!
    Last edited by Moderator; 03-31-2011 at 09:47 AM.

Default Re: Help Us Choose a Project: Home-Center Projects

A desk out of stock cabinets!

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    Suggest a Home-Center Project and you could end up building it with TOH general contractor Tom Silva for our upcoming Reader-Created issue.

Tell us your project ideas (for practical, easy upgrades that you can complete using widely available home center materials) and you could be featured!
    Project: insulating the underside of a small, rustic cottage set on crawlspace and piers.

My parents just bought a small 1949 (or older?) lake cottage in Southern IL. It needs insulation below the floors. Because it is built partly over a crawl-space and partly on piers exposed to the weather, it is a big challenge.

My dad is a lifelong do-it-yourselfer AND long-time This Old House viewer. It would be a fantastic experience for him to get help from Tom Silva!

Smile Re: Help Us Choose a Project: Home-Center Projects

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post

I'd like Tom to help me make an entryway bench for taking off shoes.

its pretty easy to take stock off the shelf from a big box store and create a custom built in entertainment unit using mdf and stock moldings. making a custom unit is perfect for fitting tvs and bookshelves into odd spaces which buying a prebuilt unit wont always look correct

most big box stores have varying widths of mdf flatstock which is already primed. the wider pieces can be used to build the boxes, then the narrow strips such as 2 1/2" wide for building face frames. using preprimed may cost a few extra dollars buts saves countless time with sanding and multiple coats of primer to cover raw mdf. with all the different profiles available you can create your own custom build up trim look as well
    fire up the saw and make some dust

We're new homeowner/DIYers with a 1926 craftsman house who are looking for help with a small laundry room upgrade to make it more functional with a lower cabinet that is flush with the front-loading machines, adding 2 wall cabinets, a laundry tub in 30" cabinet and counter over both machines. It would be amazingly fun to get help from Tom Silva himself!!

Replace an old small window with a new energy efficient picture window.

We are working on redoing our living room in our 1918 house, using building materials from home-center stores. The living room currently has beadboard walls and ceilings. We want to replace them with drywall and repurpose the beadboard as wainscoating, install crown moulding and chair rail and put in a tin ceiling. We also want to build a built-in bookcase using stock cabinets and molding. This should be budget-friendly since we will be DIY and repurposing most material already there.

This would be a great and fun project for Tom to guide and help us.
    Last edited by cstribling; 01-07-2011 at 08:05 AM. Reason: add more info

Default Re: Tell is WHAT YOU WANT TO BUILD and your topic could be featured

Basement Access window, basement bathroom, and retool a 1960's ranch to a craftsman style

Unhappy Built in, wall to wall bookcase

I have a room I want to turn into a library.
    About 12 foot of wall space, 95 inch floor to ceiling.
    Would love the option of putting doors on some of the lower shelves. I've been hesitating for some time now.
    Last edited by mfecko; 03-25-2011 at 04:26 PM. Reason: typo