+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Help Us Choose a Tool: Reader Tool Test

Hello,

It seems a little weird writing to you to ask for stuff for my shop, but the truth is that I long to build furniture in my small garage and I have been back in school for the past two plus years to retrain as an ultrasound tech, which leaves little money for the purchase of woodworking tools, let alone furniture projects.
    As an example, I recently completed a drop in router table for my Table Saw and it only took me 10 Months! At this pace, I should be outfitted sometime in 2020!

Well, in the spirit of Christmas.... Santa, here is what I can use for my shop....

• A good bench vice
    • A medium Sized Shoulder Plane
    • A good Block Plane
    • A good router, especially the new DeWalt Variable Speed Compact Router with LEDs, 1.25 HP, Model DWP611
    • A selection of Router Bits, especially a spiral upcut bit and spiral downcut bit
    • A nice mortising machine
    • Perhaps the really cool FESTOOL Domino Joiner DF500Q (perhaps I can do a comparison of different Joinery machines!
    • Clamps, Clamps and more clamps

I could go on but as I said... it's hard to just up and ask for stuff. One thing to note is that I have written reviews before, for graphics software, so I would love to set up tests and write reviews for tools, as Tools are Cool!

Thanks for your consideration and for creating such a great show and Mag.

David Brix

here's my santa's list.

1. Router table/station with router
    2. Drill press
    3. Fein Multimaster tool kit
    4. The big dewalt tile saw
    5. Wall mount wet/dry vac

I'm not greedy santa, any 4 of the 5 listed will be fine

Dewalt radial chop/miter saw with stand.

I saw a display in the box store with a stand that extends out left and right.

I use my chop/mitr saw a ton. I find myself flipping over boards to make a second pass thru the wider boards. PITA. I also have to place some materials on the outer sides to keep the boards level.

My chop compound chop/miter saw has been great for finish work, but I do many types of projects and it just doesn't cut it

A battery powered nail gun would be a great add. My father-in-law has one that I got to try and it is great.
    Last edited by Moderator; 03-25-2011 at 01:44 PM.

My hope would be to test a table saw. I have an old shop smith, but it is in need of repair, and a good table saw would make short work of my numerous projects. I could also use a pin nailer and air-compressor. I could also use a planner for the kitchen workstation with a butcher block top that I would like to build along with a cart for my Big Green Egg.

Thanks for the opportunity,

Jim

Default Re: Tell us the TOOLS ON YOUR WISHLIST and it could be featured in Reader Tool Test

Swinging a hammer in cramped spaces has never ended well for me.

When it comes time to work on our deck--attaching joist hangers, ledger boards, railing posts and stair stringers--I will be wielding a palm nailer and an 18 volt impact driver, one in each hand if the need arises.

"Just say no to hammers," the black and blue marks on my thumbs tell me all too often.
    "By the time we finish renovating the last room in this house, it will be time to start all over again."

Default Re: Tell us the TOOLS ON YOUR WISHLIST and it could be featured in Reader Tool Test

A pole chainsaw or electric hedge trimmers... Spring is here, so it's time to get the yard up to shape!

another thought,
    the new line of bostich cordless nailers. the guys on the toh shows are using em yet their nowhere to be seen in stores yet. im getting a ton of guys asking me if ive seen or used em yet and i havent.

ive used the paslode which originated the cordless nailer. how about sending a few of each brands tool to try out for the mag
    fire up the saw and make some dust

I could use a new power hand saw preferably with a laser guide.

I would also like a fein multi tool or some other quality multi tool.

A good quality set of electricians tools.

A Sawstop table saw. My old table saw is over 40 years old and I'm getting to old to lose any more parts.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb