+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What HOME PRODUCT OR MATERIAL do you want to know All About?

Perhaps your familiar with the "All About" column, where we break down home improvement materials, products, and projects to the bare essentials. In the past, we've covered hardwood floors, polyurethane, retaining walls, and pendant lights

For the upcoming Reader-Created issue, we'll feature the most popular subject posted by users here! Tell us what you want to see in the magazine, and we could feature your topic...and you!
    Last edited by Moderator; 03-25-2011 at 01:47 PM.

Default Re: Help Us Choose a Topic: All About

Fasteners and glues!

Glass tile!
    Last edited by TOHROCKS; 12-02-2010 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    Perhaps your familiar with the "All About" column, where we break down home improvement materials, products, and projects to the bare essentials. In the past, we've covered hardwood floors, polyurethane, retaining walls, and pendant lights

For the upcoming Reader-Created issue, we'll feature the most popular subject posted by users here! Tell us what you want to see in the magazine, and we could feature your topic...and you!
    I'd like to see you include an article about collecting and hanging original artwork with a subsection on how to hang art properly on different wall surfaces.
    BarbFromColchester

Finding affordable original art and then hanging it on a variety of wall surfaces could be an interesting 2-part article.
    BarbFromColchester

Default Re: What HOME PRODUCT OR MATERIAL do you want to know All About?

How about siding? Especially as it pertains to old houses. How do you replace or reclaim old materials to match the original?

metal vs sealf sealing memrane flashing products. ie. aluminum vs vycor. both are in heavy use but i see it all the time, diy'ers not installing either correctly and wondering why their windows and doors are leaking
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Insulation - Closed Cell vs. Open Cell for "Attics"

Working in the architectural field for 14 years out of college has helped me to be educated in many ways. One item that is still widely debated here in Florida is whether or not to insulate the "attic" space or to close it off and have a semi-conditioned space. Additionally, with the migration of moisture from outside, humid air to the conditioned, inside space for the majority of our year. With many residential homes constructed with self-adhering underlayments, there is some concern in my mind as to vapor permeability. Add to that the extended use of closed cell foam insulation, which is often installed at the top chord of the trusses (to close off the "attic" space), you likely have the plywood sheathing on the trusses smack dab in the middle of the moisture migration and possibly getting trapped in this space. It would be great to see the pros at TOH take on this debate for our Florida market and provide DIYers the proper use of self-adhering underlayments and whether this would then, in turn, be combined with an open cell spray foam insulation instead of the closed cell, so the moisture will be removed by the AHU in the semi-conditioned space. Thanks for the continued good reads month after month!

Ok. So insulation for attics would be interesting but I don't want to find out I made the wrong choice now that it is done. To date that was THE MOST DIFFICULT DECISION I had to make.

I second the picture hanging. I have a 100 year old four square with plaster walls. Been here for almost three years and I am still afraid to hang anything on the walls.

But what I would LOVE really LOVE to see are my options for windows. Currently we have old wood with the UGLIEST storm windows. I really dislike those storm windows. We love opening our house up and letting the fresh air in. I love the convenience of the vinyl windows in the sleeping porch, but I don't like the idea for the whole house.

Cool Re: What HOME PRODUCT OR MATERIAL do you want to know All About?

I would LOVE for their to be more info on the different products you CAN use for repairing lathe and plaster!
    There is a ton of different products out there..I have one room that is nothing but cracks (hey my house is 88 years young)..
    Over time the walls are like cracked egg shells. The back (the lathe and plaster) is fine..but the room interior is a disaster!
    I've heard you can use mesh screen and then plaster of paris (NEVER use drywall compound cause it wont last) and Big Wallys...
    But trying to keep my husband from ripping it all out and using drywall is not a pleasant solution!
    Decorate all you want, but if the bones arent good, the decorating wont help!
    Come on folks! How do I repair this???????

It would be great to see something on sails used as shade structures. Include the types, how to hang, how to design your space for one/them, and pictures of readers patios that have them.