+ Reply to Thread

Default How to repair cracked ceiling panel around recessed lighting cans?

We have recessed lighting throughout the house (Commercial Electric 6 in. IC Airtight Recessed Lighting), and recently, I replaced the white baffle trim (Commercial Electric T5) in the bathrooms with Commercial Electric Shower trim (T13). In the process, I noticed that the circumference around the metal recessed lighting can, where it meets the ceiling paint is cracked, and the plaster is coming off. I need to know how best to repair this? The cracks are not big, they are really max 1/2 inch wide and irregular and are unsightly. I am trying to repair this cosmetic damage and also protect the ceiling, as these cracks on the ceiling in bathrooms (over the tub) are a mold-hazard.

I am a complete newbie and would very much appreciate a detailed answer. Thanks.

Default Re: How to repair cracked ceiling panel around recessed lighting cans?

Can you post a picture? It sounds more like the holes were cut larger than the cans and the gap filled with drywall compound. If this is the case, apply new compound and be done with it. If this is not the case, more information and pictures would be helpful.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thank you so much for a mighty quick response. I do not have a picture right now; I am happy to provide one this evening.

Quote Originally Posted by dylanthomasfan View Post
    We have recessed lighting throughout the house (Commercial Electric 6 in. IC Airtight Recessed Lighting), and recently, I replaced the white baffle trim (Commercial Electric T5) in the bathrooms with Commercial Electric Shower trim (T13). In the process, I noticed that the circumference around the metal recessed lighting can, where it meets the ceiling paint is cracked, and the plaster is coming off. I need to know how best to repair this? The cracks are not big, they are really max 1/2 inch wide and irregular and are unsightly. I am trying to repair this cosmetic damage and also protect the ceiling, as these cracks on the ceiling in bathrooms (over the tub) are a mold-hazard.

I am a complete newbie and would very much appreciate a detailed answer. Thanks.
    Check the label on the fixture see if the tempiture will approach or exceed 140 deg.Plaster will fail at temps 140 and above.

Thanks. I think I solved this problem. Unfortunately, I did not manage to shoot pictures of the process.

At any rate, I used an elastomeric compound to seal the crumbling circumference around the recessed lighting can. This is a waterproof and flexible compound available at home depot.