+ Reply to Thread

Default Can I remove this interior wall?

I have a balloon frame 3 story house. The first floor family room is 17X24 and the same space above on the second floor is split into two rooms. The wall seperating those two rooms has studs connecting to the third story joists. Can I remove that wall without weakening the struture above?

Thanks!

Default Re: Can I remove this interior wall?

you shold be able to. go up into the attic and if the stud wall is running in the same direction as the ceiling joists then it can be removed. if it's running perpendicular to the ceiling joists it's a load bearing wall.

If there is no wall below the wall you wish to replace and no wall above it chances are it is not a bearing wall.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks for the advice. The wall in question runs perpindicular to the attic joists and I suspect it adds support to the overall structure. Plan "A" is to leave the wall in place, but cut a door and add a bathroom to the adjoining room. Plan "B" is to remove the wall and open up the space but add the bathroom to the existing bedroom. The wife wants plan B so I'm sure I'll have to compromise and figure out how to remove the wall.

just make sure you check with your local building department on putting a bathroom up there. there's different load requirements when a tub comes into play.