+ Reply to Thread

Default patching wallpapered ceilings

Have lath and plaster ceilings in 100 year old house that have been wallpapered over with what appears to be undecorated wallpaper (to hide cracks?) that has then been painted. Almost all areas are solidly adhered to plaster but a few edges and cracks have loosened the paper. One of these ceilings appears to have been shot with texture coating but this is not the contemporary finish that I want. This is a huge house so removal of the wallpaper or recovering the ceilings with sheet rock isn't probable. Is there some kind of patching compound that is not water based or that will not loosen the wall paper so that the loose areas can be removed, patched and/or taped, then sanded before repainting?

Default Re: patching wallpapered ceilings

I'd get a steamer and take off the paper, no matter how big a job it is. Get down to the original surface and then concentrate on patching the cracks. If you don't, the paper may give you problems later and you'll be doing it all over again.

Time to bite the bullet and do it right. You'll be glad in the long run. Cracks are hard to fix because they keep coming back. That being said, I'd hate for the paper to start causing other problems once I got the cracks fixed.

Good Luck.