+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Bath tub drain leaking

i may be grasping at straws here, but (if this is a fiberglass tub) could there be a hairline crack at or near the drain flange, and when someone stands in the tub, it flexes juuust enough to cause a minor leak?
    i don't believe it's a drain leak, but you may be able to confirm it this way:
    1. try to sprinkle/spray a coating of talcum powder on the drain line, especially at the connection to the tub.
    2. fill the tub with water, but not up to the overflow (same temp as when showering, as suggested by MSSP).
    3. stand in the tub & move around near the drain - do the hokey pokey if you like wedding dances.
    4. check for leaks. the highest point that the powder is wet will be your trouble spot.
    5. if powder id all dry, try doing the same to the overflow, and any framing or other pipes in the area & take a shower.

sorry for the long post, but like i posted earlier, i had the same problem once. i know how frustrating it can be when nothing makes sense.

good luck

1) It is a steel tub with all brass fittings

Took your advice and sprinkled talcum powder on drain, overflow and all pipes and I used the same temp water. It is leaking from the drain under the tub.

I am now trying a suggestion that the plumbing supply house suggested which is to use Silicon chalk instead of plumbers putty and to also place it on the rubber gasket below the tub, they stated that sometimes the metal gets pitted and the chalk makes a better seal.

I guess I will hold off on doing the hokey pokey until the leak stops.

Well I can do the Hokey Pokey, the silicon chalk stopped the leak.

Thanks everyone

i'm glad you got it fixed, but i still can't understand why it only leaked when using the shower.
    anybody out there with an explanation?