+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Bath tub drain leaking

I have replaced the bath tub drain but it leaks only when someone takes a shower about a quarter of a cup of water for a 10 minute shower. If you fill the tub or just run the shower it won't leak! It is a steel tub.

Default Re: Bath tub drain leaking

Are you sure it's coming from the drain? It can be coming from the line that feeds the shower head.

John

It is leaking from the drain. The water line feeding the shower shows no signs of leaking, where as the drain does and you can feel the mositure around the drain and a water stain on the beam that is below the drain?

is the plate on the overflow tight?
    it's possible that what you think is a drain leak is actually water getting behind the plate & running down the outside of the overflow/drain till it reaches the bend , & then dropping off.

i had this same problem, and it took a while to figure out.
    the reason you don't get water just by filling the tub or running the shower is because the water is directed away from the drain/overflow. when you actually take a shower, the water gets splashed right back at the front of the tub.

try tightening the screws that hold the plate to the overflow pipe. this is probably where your stopper mechanism is also.
    if the screws are tight, try covering the plate with plastic sheeting to see if you can isolate the problem

Thanks for the thought but I filled the tub past the overflow and the tub drained through the overflow and still didn't leak, so I covered the overflow and took a shower and it still leaked.any other thoughts?

Thanks Mike

The leak is not in the drain. If it was in the drain it would have shown up when you drained the tub. It makes no sense, when using the tub or shower the water is going down the same drain. You either have a leak in the wall from the shower head or the valve body or the water is getting behind the tile and showing up under the tub.

John

try pouring a cup of water around and over the valve trim plate. I have seen several of those start to leak. It wont leak while shower or tub is running but will leak while water is splashing off of your body

Quote Originally Posted by mmontagano View Post
    I have replaced the bath tub drain but it leaks only when someone takes a shower about a quarter of a cup of water for a 10 minute shower. If you fill the tub or just run the shower it won't leak! It is a steel tub.
    Let's back up ---- why did you replace the drain ?
    Was it for this same reason?

Did you notice this leak after replacing the drain?
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Thumbs down Re: Bath tub drain leaking

John,

I have an access panel to the back of the valve body and have directed the water onto the valve trim plate and it does not leak. Have also looked at the shower head and there are no signs of moisture or leaks on the back wall. Everything is fully dry above the drain. That is why I changed the drain but it still only leaks when you take a shower and the drain area under the tub shows signs of a leak.

Thanks Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mmontagano View Post
    John,

I have an access panel to the back of the valve body and have directed the water onto the valve trim plate and it does not leak. Have also looked at the shower head and there are no signs of moisture or leaks on the back wall. Everything is fully dry above the drain. That is why I changed the drain but it still only leaks when you take a shower and the drain area under the tub shows signs of a leak.

Thanks Mike
    When you test for leaks are you using the same temp water as when you shower and the leak occurs. I have seen plastic drains leak with hot water and not as much with the cold. Due to expansion.