+ Reply to Thread

Question Reusing 1/2-inch Knotty Pine Paneling as Flooring

Hi all,
    I have an idea that may seem a little hair-brained. I live in a home built in 1962 that has the original 1/2-inch thick wood paneling in the basement. It's solid knotty pine, varnished and has that aged, yellow-ish color to it. Anyhow, it's pretty ugly on the walls.

I'm considering on tearing it down from the room I'm renovating and thought that I'd replace the old carpet on the concrete slab with this stuff. Even after trimming off the decorative parts of the paneling, I'll have more than enough of it to cover the floor. Problem is, I don't know if I'm nuts or if this is just a bad idea and secondly, even if it is possible, I don't know how to go about doing it. For instance, do I need to cut the boards so that they are tongue and grooved, or can I lay them down without that kind of cut?

Anyone here have any experience building a wood floor (almost) from scratch without using pre-fabricated boards? Figured this might be the best place for me to start.

Thanks in advance for any insights y'all can provide!
    - Web

Default Re: Reusing 1/2-inch Knotty Pine Paneling as Flooring

I can see a few problems with your idea. 1)the varnish is probably to soft for floor traffic so it would have to be refinished 2) if you sand it "is pretty thin to start with. 3) you would need to put down a vapor barrier on the concrete and install nailers 4) if you don't use tongue and grove the boards will be uneven in about a hour and a half. Personally I don't think it would be worth the effort.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks Jack. I appreciate it.
    I wish there was a way to do it, but seems impossible.
    Thanks again!
    -

Has anyone found a solution to this? I would like to do the same thing. I have a router table and was thinking the tongue and groove could be produced that way. Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks!