+ Reply to Thread

Question What happened to the lead?

While watching the episode where Kevin and Tom are installing some of the new windows, I noticed that Tom cut away the existing plaster from two of the new window openings as well as a section next to the stairs which opened up the view from the foyer.

They took no precautions before removing these sections of plaster like they did before removing the other walls and plaster on prior episodes. There was no plastic on the floors, they didn't wrap the removed plaster in plastic for disposal, and neither Kevin nor Tom was wearing any protective suits, masks or gloves.

What happened? Seems unlikely that those three areas of the house had no lead paint.

I am also an EPA certified contractor and what they did there doesn't jive with the training I received.

Anybody have an answer? Maybe someone from the show or a moderator from this site?

Very curious.

Default Re: What happened to the lead?

I'm thinking they were probably following the principle that Norm Abrams once described for lack of safety procedures on the New yankee workshop, which is that following all the safety procedures doesn't always make for great TV. on the other hand, it could have been that the specific walls didn't have lead, or they could have had the lead removal crews do all the necessary prep work before filming.

Unhappy Re: What happened to the lead?

I'm pretty sure lack of safety procedures for good TV doesn't fly as far as the EPA is concerned.

Besides, removing the guard from your table saw so the camera can get a good shot of wood being sawn doesn't technically violate federal law (at least not yet )

As for the walls, I doubt seriously that those walls were any different then all the others they demo'd. And if they had the lead abatement contractor remove all the lead contaminated paint from that room, you would think they would have mentioned it rather prominately.

After all, the EPA RRP law is (to paraphrase our current VP) a big effin' deal. They spent a lot of time and effort showing all the procedures they had to go through to demo the old sunroom and the kitchen. Removing those three sections of plaster wall during the window installation episode without the same precautions should have at least merited a comment or explanation during the show.

There have been a lot of questions raised by renovation contractors about some of the specifics of the EPA's draconian rules for RRP. Some have not received logical answers as yet.

TOH could have helped a bit by explaining the differences in removing those three sections of plaster wall versus all the other painted surfaces which were removed.

Obviously, no one associated with the show has the time or interest to actually read this forums or reply.

Too bad.

Default Re: What happened to the lead?

This "This Old House" wasn't actually an old house. Lead paint probably long out of use when this house was built.

I could be wrong because I didn't watch this project long enough to hear the year built. This was the worst This Old House project ever because it was such a boring, ugly, nondescript house to begin with (and to end with).

I confess I tuned out the minute I saw the initial episode, but the house looks way too new to have had any lead paint.

Exclamation Re: What happened to the lead?

Well Fab, maybe before you offer an answer you should at least have watched the program

FYI, the Auburndale house was built in the 1940's

Lead-based paint was available until the mid 1970's

The EPA's RRP rules mandate testing and certain precautions in any house built before 1976

Besides, if you had bothered to watch the show (or even paid attention to what I wrote in my original post) you would have known that the house was old enough to be covered under the EPA's RRP law.

Plus, (again, if you had watched the program or read my post) you should have known that Tom and the crew not only had the house tested for lead paint (positive, by the way), but took the necessary precautions under EPA RRP rules to remove and dispose of the painted materials which they demo'd.

What they did not do, and the thing I've been trying to get an answer for, is to continue to use the same procedures when cutting out sections of the old plaster walls to install some of the new windows (as seen on the program).

So, I'd still like a reasonable explanation.