+ Reply to Thread

Default Flush tank bolts

I have tried the best available flush tank bolts yet I find them corroding within a few months. I do not think the water is very corrosive in the West Memphis area here and I wonder if I can find good quality flush tank bolts that would not corrode quickly.

Also, please recommend any good flush tank kit since the ones I have bought so far go bad within a year or so.

Thanks in advance

Default Re: Flush tank bolts

Are they solid brass? Did you mount them with the nut underneath or in the tank?
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I am not sure if the bolts I got are solid brass. On the inside, from the top, the order I have is the bolt, a metal nut and rubber washer. It may be the metal nut that is corroding and resulting in the bolt to corrode as well.

The proper assembly is bolt, rubber washer, tank, metal washer, nut, set tank onto bowl, metal washer, nut.

You tighten the first nut until the rubber washer mushrooms out from under the bolt head. Sometimes it's necessary to put a washer under the bolt head, but not always, just depends on the size of the bolt head. The second nut is hand tightened from side to side until you can no longer push any slack out of the the tank/bowl gasket.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

This is what a set should look like
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks for your replies; but the picture seems to be throwing me off... should there be metal washer between the bolt head and the rubber washer on the inside of the tank. Please clarify.

The tank bolt should have a large enough head not to need a washer under it, though I have had instances where it was necessary. If you're going to put a washer inside the tank, use a brass or stainless steel washer, not the zinc coated metal ones that will corrode in short order.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Now it makes sense... thanks to all your responses and helping out a first time homeowner and a novice at DIY.

Glad we could help.