+ Reply to Thread

Default Cleaning 1950s plastic bathroom tiles

A few years ago I tried cleaning it and all it did was streak. Now I have yellow/grey streaked tiles in my charming vintage bathroom. Does anyone know how to clean (or my case de-streak) vintage plastic tiles? I've read not to use an abrasive but the only thing that seems to work at all is lots of elbow grease coupled with baking soda.

Thanks!

Default Re: Cleaning 1950s plastic bathroom tiles

Quote Originally Posted by smilingb View Post
    A few years ago I tried cleaning it and all it did was streak. Now I have yellow/grey streaked tiles in my charming vintage bathroom. Does anyone know how to clean (or my case de-streak) vintage plastic tiles? I've read not to use an abrasive but the only thing that seems to work at all is lots of elbow grease coupled with baking soda.

Thanks!
    I am pleased to know I am not the only person who still has the plastic tile from the 50's. This is how I clean mine. I pour either liquid Lysol cleaner or liquid Pine sol cleaner onto a sponge and scrub, then rinse it with the shower hose, then dry with a soft towel. That always works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by smilingb View Post

Thanks!
    When I replied about using liquid cleansers and a sponge, I forgot to mention....always work from the bottom up when washing walls. Dirty water running down onto a dirty wall will cause streaks. For some reason, dirty water running down a clean wall does not streak.

You may want to look into steam cleaning. Here are three machines that I've personally used and reviewed.

Ladybug XL 2300
    SteamFast SF 275
    Vapamore MR 100

I'm currently reviewing the SteamFast SF 246 portable steamer, and should have it posted in the next few days. To be honest though, the SF 275 is only slightly more expensive and more versatile.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Hmmm, I just pulled off all the old 4x4 plastic tiles from our bathroom wall, because my wife didn't like the colors... Now will install the basic glossy white 6 x 6 ceramic. Other than asthetics, are they worth much?

Bar