+ Reply to Thread

Lightbulb Fan light randomly goes out

I installed fans with a built in single lights in all of my bedrooms. I went ahead and also installed dimmers in the rooms. For about 3 years there were no issues. Now in one of the three rooms these fans were installed, the light will randomly go off? You have to wait 10-15 mins before the light comes back on. Only the light - the fan will always stay on. I replaced the dimmer switch for the light multiple times, and checked all the wiring was correct but can't seem to figure out the source of why the light just goes off. I ended up removing the dimmer switch and re-installed the original switch which seems to help reduce the amount of times the light dies but doesn't solve the issue. Fuse box has no issues and no other room has ever had an issue. The room is in the farthest corner of the house (not sure why that would matter)? Each room as three switch options on the wall (2 for the fan/light control, one for an outlet *****). Thoughts?

Default Re: Fan light randomly goes out

Does it also happen when the fan is not running ?
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Yes - fan can be on or off. The light needs to be on for a while though and then it just goes off (takes about 5 seconds and then it dies). Day or night...light could be on for 20 mins or 2 hours - totally random.

Then it sounds like a heat issue -- either from current flowing through the wiring or heat from the lamp itself causing a connection to open. Once the light goes out and current stops flowing things cool and the connection closes again.

If the lamp socket is a typicall screw in type --- check the wire connections at the ceiling box to ensure they are tightly secured by wire nuts.

Other than that it's remotely possible the wiring at the socket or the contact points may be faulty.

Unless --- and something I haven't seen in typical ceiling fan/light units --- you have a thermal cutoff device located in the lamp socket area. These are common in recessed light fixture to shut down the fixture if overheating occurs preventing a fire potential. These can overtime degrade and become a problem.

Just a thought.
    - Rush

Thank you for those thoughts! I hadn't thought about that but will give it a go!
    Last edited by SergioQ; 11-29-2010 at 07:10 PM.

Another thought --- I'm assuming you changed the bulb first ?
    - Rush