+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4

    Default Soft, squeaky drywall near Chimney

    I have a bedroom, and one of the walls is soft & squeaky. Here are the characteristics of the wall:

    - the bedroom is on the second floor
    - there is a window in the center of the wall
    - the fireplace chimney is on the exterior of the wall
    - when I press my hand against the wall, the wall gives & squeaks
    - when the wind blows, an intermittent tapping noise comes from the wall

    A neighboring bedroom shares the exterior, chimney wall -- the walls in this second bedroom are firm, and do not squeak.

    The room is fine, except for windy days & windy nights -- the wind movement against the house or the wall, seems to cause tapping noises -- these noises coming from the soft, squeaky wall are annoying. It's hard to get a good night's sleep in the room.

    Is there anyway to fix the soft, squeaky wall?

    Thanks!
    Last edited by 60sHouse; 11-29-2010 at 09:33 PM. Reason: fix list

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4

    Default Re: Soft, squeaky drywall near Chimney

    Soft & Squeaky,

    First of all, when you say soft what do you mean? Is the wall/drywall itself soft as in wet or damp? Does the wall/drywall move in and out when you push in on it?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4

    Default Re: Soft, squeaky drywall near Chimney

    Quote Originally Posted by 85 Year Old Colonial View Post
    Soft & Squeaky,

    First of all, when you say soft what do you mean? Is the wall/drywall itself soft as in wet or damp? Does the wall/drywall move in and out when you push in on it?
    Hi 85 Year Old Colonial,

    The wall is not damp - it is dry. The wall is soft - maybe because the drywall is not screwed to the studs? (Not sure) But when I push on the wall, it definitely moves in and squeaks, and when I release, it moves out and squeaks. Much appreciate your help.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    7,160

    Default Re: Soft, squeaky drywall near Chimney

    Quote Originally Posted by 60sHouse View Post
    Hi 85 Year Old Colonial,

    The wall is not damp - it is dry. The wall is soft - maybe because the drywall is not screwed to the studs? (Not sure) But when I push on the wall, it definitely moves in and squeaks, and when I release, it moves out and squeaks. Much appreciate your help.
    Sounds like the fasteners (nails ) have loosened, allowing the drywall to defect and it squeaks on the nails as it moves. The cure is to find the nails, give them a tap, then install a screw directly above it. The screw heads will have to be filled and topped with drywall compound when you're done. You may need to touch up the wall texture when you're done, spot prime the patch work, then spot paint the patches, then paint the entire wall to blend it all together.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    nova scotia, canada
    Posts
    1,522

    Default Re: Soft, squeaky drywall near Chimney

    good point

    just curious though is it possible there is a leak but it just hasnt made its way to the drywall yet.. but it is rotting the framing
    fire up the saw and make some dust

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    7,160

    Default Re: Soft, squeaky drywall near Chimney

    That's possible J, though not likely. Interior wall moisture would telegraph through as damp, cold, shadowed, and moldy. Fasteners will generally rust and bleed through. There is also generally signs of moisture issues/damage to the exterior of the wall as well.

    From the descriptions given, I suspect a few things. Most common is that a home is built with wet lumber, or at least a very high moisture content, the drywall is applied and over time the wood dries and shrinks, creating slack in the fasteners. Drastic fluctuations in the relative humidity, seasonal temperature fluctuations, and an unsealed wall can cause expansion and contraction of the framing, also creating slack in the fasteners. Excessive vibration can loosen nails as well.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1

    Question Re: Soft, squeaky drywall near Chimney

    Quote Originally Posted by 60sHouse View Post
    I have a bedroom, and one of the walls is soft & squeaky. Here are the characteristics of the wall:

    - the bedroom is on the second floor
    - there is a window in the center of the wall
    - the fireplace chimney is on the exterior of the wall
    - when I press my hand against the wall, the wall gives & squeaks
    - when the wind blows, an intermittent tapping noise comes from the wall

    A neighboring bedroom shares the exterior, chimney wall -- the walls in this second bedroom are firm, and do not squeak.

    The room is fine, except for windy days & windy nights -- the wind movement against the house or the wall, seems to cause tapping noises -- these noises coming from the soft, squeaky wall are annoying. It's hard to get a good night's sleep in the room.

    Is there anyway to fix the soft, squeaky wall?

    Thanks!
    I have a house with the same problem. Did you find a fix that worked?
    Thanks
    Derf

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1

    Default Re: Soft, squeaky drywall near Chimney

    Often times an upstairs wall is not securely attached to the floor, especially inside walls and when you walk by them they sqeak or crackle or pop. Your problem could very easily be the need of gluing down the footer and using lag bolts into the trusses. The sound is from very slight movement of the wall in relation to the floor. Oh yea, a stud finder is the best way to find a stud without making holes in the drywall. One way to secure the wall to the floor without removing the drywall is to use a rotozip and cut below the trim line and screw the wall down then just replace the trim (note keep the removed strip of drywall to reuse as spacers under the trim when replaced.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •