+ Reply to Thread

Default New fence post holes off line.

All:

Using a two-man gas-*****ed auger, a friend of mine and I drilled a line of fence post holes. I could swear we had a string line in place, but the resultant fence line is significantly arced from one end to the other. The holes are far enough off from straight to be noticeable, but close enough to where they should be that drilling new holes in the proper locations would be difficult if not impossible.

How do I fix this?

Thanks for all your help,

Fencely A. Doofus

Default Re: New fence post holes off line.

Get yourself a pair of clam shell and align the holes manually. Rerun the string for reference.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Spruce, is that your wife's good sheet in the background?
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

I thought it was yours ...
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Spruce:

That's what I was afraid you were gonna say.

Thanks.

RJS

Quote Originally Posted by RocketJSquirrel View Post
    Spruce:

That's what I was afraid you were gonna say.

Thanks.

RJS
    Once you've got the main hole, truing it up with clam shells is a breeze, even if it's hard pan. Actually, if it's hard pan, you're better off with a spud bar to do the digging and the clams to remove the dirt.

Spud bar:

Smile Re: New fence post holes off line.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Once you've got the main hole, truing it up with clam shells is a breeze, even if it's hard pan. Actually, if it's hard pan, you're better off with a spud bar to do the digging and the clams to remove the dirt.

Spud bar:
    Spruce:

Sorry for the delayed response. I've been busy (re-)digging holes.

Yes, the combo of a clamshell set, spud bar, spade, mason's line, and water for weakening the resolve of our recalcitrant clay did the trick. Thanks for your help.

RJ Squirrel

You're welcome,