+ Reply to Thread

Default dual saw seen on infomercial?

Does anyone have knowledge of the "Dual saw" seen on infomercials? I am a single mom who enjoys doing home improvement projects. I need to find a single saw that will do it all. I am also not very ***** tool friendly! Any suggestions?

Default Re: dual saw seen on infomercial?

Are you referring to the Omni Dual Saw? If so, save your money, most infomercial products are designed for one purpose, and that is to remove your hard earned cash from your wallet, and this one is no different.

What do you need a saw for, maybe we can help you choose one that will work best for you.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

good idea, but i know a few guys who've tried em.. total waste of money. just another gimmick to try to sucker people out of their money. no matter what people do to try and create a new tool, the guys who work with the stuff everyday always go back to the standards...

one exemption from this though is the multimaster, multitasker,,, call it what you will, soncic crafter.. basically a oscillting tool that cuts, sands,sc****s and grinds
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I am mainly needing saw for wood cutting. I will be (trying to) cut base and crown molding and I need to remove a tongue and groove wall to put sheetrock up. I need a saw that is easy to use because I don't have much knowledge of these kinds of things! I would love to buy just one saw for all my home improvement needs. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by getlost7 View Post
    I am mainly needing saw for wood cutting. I will be (trying to) cut base and crown molding and I need to remove a tongue and groove wall to put sheetrock up. I need a saw that is easy to use because I don't have much knowledge of these kinds of things! I would love to buy just one saw for all my home improvement needs. Thanks to all for the suggestions.
    That will be a tough order to fill, given the projects you've listed.

Base and crown are best cut on a miter saw, though it can be done flat with a circular saw or with a handsaw and miter block. The best thing for crown is a coping saw for inside corners and a standard miter saw for outside corners.

Flat work and ripping is best accomplished with a circular saw

Drywall is cut with a utility knife or keyhole saw.

I can tell you unequivocally that the dual saw you've asked about will not work well for anything you've listed here.

So, what will work best for you?

1. Corded Circular saw.
    2. Speed Square

I would go with a small corded circular saw. I say corded because most homeowners don't use battery operated tools enough to keep the batteries operating properly, resulting in expensive battery replacements every year or two. The speed square will give you something to use as a cutting guide to make straight lines when cutting baseboard and other narrow pieces.

For installing crown, I'd look into renting a miter saw which will give you fast, accurate compound cuts, something that would be possible, but difficult with any other tool. You can do both inside and outside cuts with a miter saw, though it is recommended that inside corners be coped to prevent them from opening up. Coping saws are inexpensive and easy to use.

The tongue and groove wall should come down easily once you get the first board out. Typically, T&G is nailed through the tongue, so once you get the first piece out, you can work the rest loose with a pry bar or hammer.

You can Google the items listed for more specific information as to what they are, their uses, and price range.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Come on guys. You're to hard on products sold from infomercials.
    That's where I do my Xmas shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by bsum1 View Post
    Come on guys. You're to hard on products sold from infomercials.
    That's where I do my Xmas shopping.
    I only shop from Ronco.