+ Reply to Thread

Default The Oddest Plumbing Problem

I have a 3 year old home. My upstairs guest room toilet has been giving me trouble since day one. Occasionally, I would come home and find a horrible odor from the toilet and find foul water in the bowl. No one used this for weeks.
    I continue to get slow drainage from the bowl. I rarely get a full suction to emtpy the toilet after each flush. I have no issues with the sink or shower in the room draining.
    Now comes the crazy part...about 1-2 minutes after I flush the toilet, a loud, audible vibration occurs near the toilet and lasts for 30 seconds.
    My initial thought is that the toilet isn't vented properly, but would that account for the trap being sucked out on a windy day? I would assume there would need to be a connected vent for this to occur. Also on windy days, I get sloshing of the water in the bowl. Is it from the clean out in front of my home? I don't know where to begin.
    Any help is much appreciated.

Default Re: The Oddest Plumbing Problem

From all you describe, I believe that improperly vented or partially blocked vent would be the first things to look at.

Is there a good way to go about this without tearing out the wall? Can a ven line be scoped?

Easiest thing to do---- take a flashlight to the roof and look down. Yes, you can drop a snake down from the roof, but in that you are multi-story be sure to use a safety line and tack a 2x4 down to support you without sliding.

It could be the vent. It might also just be a bad trap in the toilet. If it is the same as the rest of the house and they work fine i would look at that also.

Quote Originally Posted by TRice View Post
    I have a 3 year old home. My upstairs guest room toilet has been giving me trouble since day one. Occasionally, I would come home and find a horrible odor from the toilet and find foul water in the bowl. No one used this for weeks.
    I continue to get slow drainage from the bowl. I rarely get a full suction to emtpy the toilet after each flush. I have no issues with the sink or shower in the room draining.
    Now comes the crazy part...about 1-2 minutes after I flush the toilet, a loud, audible vibration occurs near the toilet and lasts for 30 seconds.
    My initial thought is that the toilet isn't vented properly, but would that account for the trap being sucked out on a windy day? I would assume there would need to be a connected vent for this to occur. Also on windy days, I get sloshing of the water in the bowl. Is it from the clean out in front of my home? I don't know where to begin.
    Any help is much appreciated.
    Based on some information you provided I wouldn't go with a vent issue first thing.
    If the vent was restricted enough to affect the toilet when flushed --- then likely you would hear gurgling from the sink or tub/shower trap as air would be drawn in from either or both of those drains --- also the water seal from those traps would be sucked dry.
    As well, a restricted vent would affect the the draining of the sink and tub/shower not only the toilet.

The foul water may be a result of the 3 inch toilet line actually being sloped back instead of away and depends on how and where the sink and shower drain connects to the 3 inch line. If the 3 inch slopes back, crap will accumulate in a low spot and eventually could work it's way back up into the toilet --- add a partial blockage would make matters worse.

As for the *noise* I haven't heard anything like you describe coming from a drain system. Usually if this noise only happens at this one toilet then I would look at an issue with the fill valve diaphram inside the toilet tank being faulty or the shutoff not fully open.

2 cents woth.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush