+ Reply to Thread

Default Heat needed on 3rd floor

I have a home in Western New York built in 1917. The third floor attic has been renovated by a previous owner however, it does not have heat. There does not appear to be any duct work up there as well. I primarily use it as an office or storage space. We are considering a larger renovation project allowing us to use the space more effectively (guest room, playroom). We recently re-insulated the entire 3rd floor with cellulose insulation but I am still wondering about heat. Buffalo winters can be chilly. Is there any way to heat the 3rd floor other than a space heater and without a ton of cost?

Default Re: Heat needed on 3rd floor

Your question can probably best be answered by having several heating contractors look over the situation.

A lot would depend on what central heat (and AC) you have now for the rest of the house & if it could be tied into the upper apt.---you mention ducts; does this mean you have forced hot air; do you have a gas-fired or oil-fired furnace/boiler; do you have a natural gas pipeline to your house; do you use propane????

The issue of installing AC for the summer months should be considered as well, if the apt. is to be made tolerable in warm weather.

There are numerous thru-the-wall/thru-the-roof heating units, PTACs, Mini Split ACs that both heat & cool, so expect to get a variety of suggestions after the HVAC tech surveys the situation; eventually you will be able to decide on a reasonable price and choice of unit; get all cost estimates in writing.

Consult the Yellow Pages under "Heating Contractors" and/or "Air Conditioning Contractors".

There may be a way to tie in 4" flexible ducting from the other floors.

Please post back; we'd love to hear with the HVAC guys recommend---the more contractors you have look at it, the better system you will eventually install, at the best price.
    Last edited by NashuaTech; 11-25-2010 at 11:36 PM.