+ Reply to Thread

Question instant hot water house heater

I thought I saw an episode were an instant hot water heater was used as a house heater, with a standard hot water heater being used as a closed system. I have asked at my wholesaler about this type of system but they say they have never heard of one. it sounds very efficient. Any idea's thanks

Default Re: instant hot water house heater

On demand type water heaters have been used in floor radiant heating.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

I think your trying to do is this.

http://www.noritz.com/u/plumbing_dia...hw_radiant.pdf

Wouldn't recommend it for a tankless. The above is for Nortiz Boiler but the piping would be the same for the tankless. A tankless is not rated as a heating apppliance. In some municipalities you cannot use a water heater as a primary heat source. Check with your local building inspector.

Keep in mind that you also either void or reduce the warranty when using a tankless as a heating appliance. It is also not as efficient as you think. Tankless heaters are only 80% efficient or so and you do not have the ability to control water temp via outdoor reset. With a condensing boiler not only do you modulate water temp to match the homes heat loss via an outdoor sensor but but you are also regulating the amount of gas being used.

We have some places around here that use water heaters for radiant floor heating.
    There's even some places that use the radiant floor heat in the hotwater supply from the heater. I think it's called an open system or circuit ?

It definitely can be used for this purpose if manufacturer approves, but these are only good for small areas such as 1000-1500 sq. ft. max.