+ Reply to Thread

Post Paver Driveway/Patio - Can I redo it all?

I have a 20+ year old paver driveway/walkway and patio that wrap around the house.
    The pavers seem to all be in good shape.
    However, many have shifted and have settled.
    I have re-sanded the joints a few times but it doessn't last long.
    The patio has completely settled and now pitches toward the house.

Can the whole installation be picked up, a new bed laid and then pavers reinstalled?

Is this any less costly than replacing everything?

Any help is appreciated.

Default Re: Paver Driveway/Patio - Can I redo it all?

Yes you can do this. Just carefully pull up all the pavers and stack them out of the way. Some might say to just add more sand and replace the pavers and if you haven't had to much settling that might work. I however would take out the sand (save it for later use) and add and compact the base material to the proper pitch. Add and screed the sand then add the pavers and compact again. For the walkways you could probably just get away with a rubber mallet to tap the pavers into the sand to lock everything into place but for the driveway your best bet would be to use a plate compactor. If however you have soft brick or your pavers are not in great shape the plate compactor could crack them. As far as cost savings you would save a lot on the cost of new pavers which are probably a minimum of $2.50 a square foot. Hope this helps you out.

Mike

Thanks for your reply.
    It was very helpful.
    It's amazing that I couldn't get a straight answer from the couple of contractors that I talked to.
    Thanks again.

yes you can do it, just push up your hesitation
    start this once

How's your paver driveway/patio going now? Any good news you have done for it? I think my sister had the same problem now with you and she wanted to know more of it.