+ Reply to Thread

Angry "glued down" carpet disaster

Hi all, I recently pulled the old carpet out of our basement. It was rubber backed glued to the concrete. I will presume, this has been there since the 70's. Now I have a floor with dried glue swirls with black foam/rubber stuck to it. I have tried a couple different adhesive removers, nothing works. I would like to paint a section of this floor but, I need this mess cleared first.
    Any ideas on how to cut or, at least soften this glue ? I tried scraping with a razor sc****r but, this is a long teadious process.
    I will be posting this in a few different areas here in hope of a solution that works.

Default Re: "glued down" carpet disaster

I don't know if it'll work, but have you tried olive oil on the glue? It's a little messy, but it's gotten every other type of glue I've tried it on off.
    I would sand the rubber off first though. Another thing you might try is heat. Heat weakens the bonds on glue and makes it easier to remove.

I don't know if you have fixed your floor yet.

If it isn't too big, maybe just try sealing the glue in with latex primer/sealer(made for sealing floors). Then a skim coat should do the job with very little mess. Done properly you should be able to whatever you need with the floor.

i am a businessman and have lived in many apartments for the past few years, i have a lot of carpeting problem sin my current apartment and very struggling a lot, my wife was always scolding and upset, San Antonio carpet cleaning was given the task and now my family is happy, carpeting of a house needs to be properly done else there are serious problems, now i am happy

Very nice post with a ton of informative information. Can you recommend any other decent forums or social groups to join that cover these
    types of topics. Also, I really appreciate the fact that you approach these topics from a stand point of knowledge and information
    instead of the typical “I think” mentality that you see so much on the internet these days.