+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default What's on your must-do list in the fall?

What do you like to do around the house in November (perhaps in prep for Thanksgiving)? Your answer may get featured in our issue (along with your name and possibly your photo). Please ask friends and family to send suggestions too. Thanks!!

Cool Re: What's on your must-do list in the fall?

Our half bathroom was half-carpet and half ceramic tile before the cat turned it into a litter box. Now it's half exposed subfloor and half tile. We didn't like the bathroom anyway, so now is as good a time as any to remodel. We have to remove the sink, vanity and toilet to replace the flooring, might as well put in something we like before we have family for Thanksgiving.
    The same cat also did a number on the carpet on the stairs, so that is on the to do list as well, but I'm not sure what we're going to do.

Wink Re: What's on your must-do list in the fall?

I think along with the remodeling you need to buy the cat (since they rule the house) something to claw on instead of your carpet. We bought a large playground with seisel rope and cubicles for the cat to climb, hide and claw on. Maybe after you buy that the cat might let you stay in the house (as long as you feed him/her)ha ha.

Calcats

Smile Re: What's on your must-do list in the fall?

south of Boston

clean the gutters
    final raking of the leaves
    winterizer (fertilizer)
    remove screens
    clean the windows to get ready for christmas candles and decor
    shutoff outside water
    get ready for a long winter

Although I like to keep busy, I don't necessarily "like" to do these things.

Default Re: What's on your must-do list in the fall?

My must do list involves redoing carpets in 3 bedrooms & possibly adding more insulation in the attic.
    Benny

1. Put away the lawn furniture and umbrellas.
    2. Clean the gardens out front.
    3. Mow the lawn one last time to remove leaves. My lawn is 1 1/2 acres. The lawn mower is about to die after this summers rains.
    4. Wash the windows (my least favorite thing).
    5. I want to have my hardwood floors refinished and polished.
      Plant some more trees.

Quote Originally Posted by Natalie View Post
    What do you like to do around the house in November (perhaps in prep for Thanksgiving)? Your answer may get featured in our issue (along with your name and possibly your photo). Please ask friends and family to send suggestions too. Thanks!!
    Insulation: I have a brick home with 3 bay-type windows that let in cold air. (The house is 16 years old). My guess is that when the builder built this house, he went the cheap way or he didn't put any insulation in all three windows at all. I'd put in my own insulation by drilling holes or tearing the windows apart, but I might goof it all up. And my hands are not steady.

Landscape: The sidewalk in front of my house collects water or ice during the cold season. After a good rain shower or after the lawn sprinkler system watered my grass is when the water collects on my sidewalk. Slowly, the water will change direction and move to my driveway and out into the street. But, when the winter comes, the water freezes-up and creates a very slippery situation. The area of grass sits between the sidewalk and the street and it hardly absorbs any water. I want to dig a trough between the sidewalk and the grass that's closest to the street.

Mel Czerkis

This year my wife and I have been busy over the summer removing all of the siding on our home in preparation for our contractor to install vinyl siding. We are going with Certainteed 5 inch triple shingles. Only if my wife can decide on a color! So our house will have a brand new look. With that being said I still have a lot of work to do inside to prepare for Thanksgiving. My list includes electrical work, install blue board for new plaster and then hopefully installing hardwood flooring and tile. Lots of work and I probably can't finish it all in time. My wife is tired of looking at the second floor floor joist in our dinning room! I think I will need to start there.

Hi, it's me again. Another project that must get done is the installation of granite steps. I'll need some heavy equipment to complete this one. (I'll need to purchase and install 15 six foot steps)

Smile Re: What's on your must-do list in the fall?

When my wife and I bought our house she said the inside had to be done first! We (I) have remodeled most every room and we added on a formal dining room and library just over a year ago.

We are now in the process of doing the outside. We just had a new shadow box fence with two arbors installed, to replace a worn out, crooked fence that we inherited. I've built octagonal borders(4x6 treated timbers)around all of the trees to hold mulch. Want to add landscaping, build a retaining wall (to divide the back yard into two level tiers) and maybe a water feature. And, maybe, just maybe, try to grow some grass!!!